Hello - 2005 Maxima

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Hello - 2005 Maxima

visited a while back when i had "check engine light" troubles with my 97 maxima, have a 05 maxima now, need to know how to reset "service engine soon" light.
thanks.....

posted by  billhen

A quick fix may be to disconnect the battery for a few seconds. If I remember right ODBII doesn't clear all codes this way. Have you had some one pull the codes? What code does it say? Most code readers can also reset the light, but if the problem still exists the light may come back on. The best fix would be to solve the problem that the computer is seeing.

posted by  corbett_auto

The light often comes up to remind you of oil changes and such. Try this

Hold down the trip odometer reset button, then keep holding it and put the key in and turn it to on (don't start the car though). That should turn it off.

posted by  newyorker

If that doesn't work turn the key "on" with the engine off, and press down the gas pedal all the way down, and all the way up 3 times within 5 seconds. A lot of GMs used that design. Another thing you could do is look in your owners manual and see if there's instructions how to turn it off. Most likely it's just an oil change light. They just say "Service Engine Soon" to make you think something is horribly wrong so you bring it to the dealer so they can charge you up the yazoo for an oil change (IMO).

posted by  Satty101

Yea, you don't have to worry about the things like Service Engine Soon, as long as you don't pop a genie lamp (check engine light), you are fine and it's most likely just a reminder for some service, they are programmed in the ECU usually by the miles.

How many miles on your car?

posted by  newyorker

Your Message