'96 Chevy Blazer will not shift

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  '96 Chevy Blazer will not shift

For a short time my blazer was just having trouble shifting. I had to accelerate up to 20 miles per hour and let up off of the gas to let it shift. Now however, it will not shift at all. it is not slipping though, just not shifting. any ideas?

posted by  aryecadmus

Check your fluid. Look at the color of it. If it's a bright-ish red, it's good. Brown (or worst case scenario, black) change it. If it doesn't help, you could be looking at a new tranny. Those trannys are reletivley cheap (When based next to other trannys) at about 300 bucks for a used one. The labor on the other hand, will cost a lot more. So, start with the basics, check the fluid. The dipstick SHOULD be near the back on the left side of the intake plenum. You'll see it, it'll be red. (A lot of people think I'm talking about engine oil when I tell them to check the level, so this is why I say it).

posted by  Satty101

My dad and i have already changed the Transmission fluid and filter. Unfortunately that had no effect. Man i hope that i do not have to get a new transmission. Thanks for the help though.

posted by  aryecadmus

How many miles are on it? I can't remember what trans is in those things but I know they have some issues. (Friend of mine replaced 3 in his Suburban and another friend replaced 2 in his Blazer).

posted by  Satty101

Your Message