Transmission slip

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Transmission slip

As you know I bought an 04 Ranger with 217k highway miles. The only time the transmission ever slips is when shifting into 3rd. It doesn't do it all the time though. Transmission fluids perfect, what else is there to check and what can I do to repair it? Thanks guy's.

posted by  99integra

bump?

posted by  99integra

I am by no means a transmission expert, but.....I'll take a stab. It may just be a bad band. Have you tried changing the fluid or adding some sort of additive? This may not be a permanent fix, but could put off a rebuild for a little while.

posted by  corbett_auto

Put lucas transmission additive in there and changed the fluid at the same time, doesn't slip as bad but again it does have 217k miles on it.

posted by  99integra

Any idea how many of those miles were on the existing clutch? Does it slip at all in any higher gears? I'm thinking you might not notice it in 1st or 2nd so much because the revs will be generally higher than if in 3rd, 4th or 5th. :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Automatic. No higher gear slipping at all.

posted by  99integra

Sorry. When you were talking about shifting in to third, presuming you were doing the shifting etc, I assumed it was a manual (although in hindsight, I guess I probably should have known from viewing the pictures...).

posted by  Cliffy

Man, you're just jumping to conclusions with his truck every chance you get. :doh: :oops:

posted by  Satty101

Your Message