oxygen sensor trouble

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  oxygen sensor trouble

I have a '96 Ford Thunderbird. It's been giving me trouble. While I'm driving it will act like its not getting gas. But if i let on and off the gas it will continue and the desired speed. Now it has gotten so bad the car won't start. I do know that 2 of my oxygen sensors are out. It is not my spark plugs, fuel injectors, or fuel filters. Could my problem be the oxygen sensors, feul pump or something all together different.

please help
Jerri

posted by  pjjk57

Trouble codes?

posted by  DodgeRida67

since a 1996 is OBDII compliant, get autozone to pull your trouble codes

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Don't know if this helps you at all or not - but worth a shot I suppose.
I own a 92 T-bird - my car had been at the point where it was dying when I would have to stop at a red light - for more than a minute or so -- or when it just sat and idled for a couple minutes.
Got the codes pulled - both oxygen sensors were out on me. Works much better with some new sensors in there for me!

posted by  bigtrekfan

I had an issue with my 97' Chevy truck that diagnoed an oxegen sensor, but the real issue was a plugged catalitic converter. Might want tho check it.

posted by  kidsmechanic

hey kidsmechanic,

where was this plug, just around where the O2 sensor was? I have a sensor that could be bad but might not be.

posted by  JaneiR36

janeiR36,
plugged as in internal, allowing very little exhaust to pass. replaced catalytic converter , problem solved, oxygen sensor checked out OK.

posted by  kidsmechanic

oh. hoped it was something you could clean out.

Still curious to find out what's wrong with this guy's car, though.

posted by  JaneiR36

Here you go. I started a new topic (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7048) detailing the problem.

posted by  JaneiR36

Have your cadilitic converter checked.

posted by  barretire

I have a friend with a 94 thunderbird and he had problems with that car. He thought he was running out of gas. Turns out his catalytic converter was stopped up.you might want to try that.

posted by  moparboy

if it does turn out to be the cat, make sure to take care of it quick. I bought a chevy truck back in 95 or so- it had badly plugged cats. I ended up rebuilding the engine... If it is plugged bad enough, it'll give too much back pressure in the engine and eventually kill your rings.

posted by  sierrawolfe929r

Your Message