5w30 oil increase engine performance?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  5w30 oil increase engine performance?

I use 10 w 30 engine oil,
I recently herd using 5 W 30 would increase engine performance
by reducing engine resistance, and even burn less gas.

Does any of this sound true?
And would using 5 w 30 be hard on my engine?

Oh I also herd some of the Audis use 0 W 30,
I didn’t even know they made 0 W 30.

posted by  Driver-88

Differing oil voscosity has very little or no effect on improving engine performance, however, using the wrong oil can harm your engine, bear in mind that 5w 30 oil is extreamly thin and if your car is made to take a 10w 30 (usually the standard voscosity) using the former wont do your engine much good at all. Is the car supposed to hold 10w 30?...or is that just what you use? either way, it's safer to go with 10w 30 if unsure! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks for your reply.

My engine is an 3800 3.8L 6 cylinder,
I know it takes 10W-30 but I’m not absolutely sure
If it takes 5W-30 or not.

This is a scanning of my shop manual
From what I understand I can use 5W-30.
http://www.edgewoodmedia.crosswinds.net/manual.gif

posted by  Driver-88

That url wont work :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Sorry I uploaded to the wrong host try it now. :ohcrap:

posted by  Driver-88

LOL...Ok, got it, that's fine to use on your car then, but do you really need to?...how cold does it get where you live? :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

well oil is a difficult balance, to thin and it will be to easily dispaced and not lubricate properly and damage your engine, to thick and it wont penatrate and so damage will be done. Oil is one of those things you have to think about as a complete package. Mobil 1 is probibly the best fully synthetic oil, it also has a price to mach of 4 times more than a semi synethic.

posted by  cinqyg

Assuming we are dealing with a GM 3.8L V6, either 5W50 or 10W30 will work. The issue is the temperatures - in the Northern US or in Canada, I would use 5W30 in a GM 3.8L V6. As far south as I am (Chattanooga, TN), we would opt for the 10W30 since our main concern is heat - not winter start-up

The most important thing here is use a good oil from a reputable blender (Texaco, Mobil, etc.), use the viscosity in the cars owners book, make sure is meets the minumum API service classification required by the manufacturer (current gasoline engine warranty oil specs are API class SL) and and keep the oil and oil filter changed regularly (3000 - 7500 miles depending on how you drive the car)

Let me clear up a myth - Except for Mobil 1, AMSOIL, and a couple of other PAO based lubricants (group IV basestock), there is no such thing as synthetic oil - other than those three and a couple of others, synthetic oil is nothing but highly refined and dewaxed mineral oil (group III stock) with enough additives to meet Diamaler Benz-Chrysler and Chevrolet Corvette specifications. Group III oils calling themselves synthetic include U.S. Castrol Syntec, Texaco Havoline Synthetic, and most of the others

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Sorry for not responding sooner. :doh:

I live in B.C. so in the winter it gets to about -25 Celsius (-13 Fahrenheit)
And in summer it gets to 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit)

So 5W-30 in the winter.
But is 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit)
To hot for 5W-30 would I be better of with 10W-30 at summer temps.

The reason I’d like to run 5w-30 all year round is I’m told it can save gas :2cents:
Or else I’d have no problem using 10w-30 in summer.

Thanks everyone

posted by  Driver-88

With such differing climate temperatures it's hard to define an exact oil, I would strongly recomend going with the manufacturers specified lube. Or you cold always drain and refill the oil in time with the climate change, do what ever suits you best, I wouldn't have thought the type of oil you use would effect the gas mileage though! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

yeah 6 monthly oil change isnt such a bad thing.

posted by  cinqyg

Well the temps I gave were the extremes.
I figure I will use 10 w 30 in the summer and 5w-30 the rest of the time,
If I don’t notice a change in fuel consumption I’ll stay with 10w-30.

Thanks for all the help

posted by  Driver-88

driving the car with a heavy right boot on the gas pedal affects fuel economy more than motor oil viscosity

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Can’t argue with you their. :smoke:

posted by  Driver-88

What do you drive anyway?

posted by  Driver-88

a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria with a 4.6L V-8 - I use Texaco Havoline Synthetic (Group III basestock) or Mobil 1 (Group IV stock) 10W30. I use 10W30 year round since we don't get too cold in winter (average lows in 20s and 30s) but get hot in summer (average around 90)

If your summers average no more than about 80F, 5W30 is fine as long as during summer, you don't have valve train chatter. I would definitely use 5W30 in winter in Canada (Most of your cars are probably equipped with engine block heaters too I suspect)

Dirving to work and back, and a occasional trip to Knoxville or Atlanta, I average between 20 and 23 mpg commuting and 25-27 mpg highway with my Crown Victoria

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Crown Vics are nice :thumbs:
Are the 92s fuel injected?

I’ll try 5w-30 all year round I’ll just be sure to keep an eye
On the mercury.

Is “valve train chatter” obvious?

Sorry for the stupid questions but
How do I determine my gas mileage?

Thanks tbaxleyjr

posted by  Driver-88

The 92 Crown Vic is the redesign from the box body. Its 4.6L v-8 is multiport injected with overhead cams and is rated @ 195 hp or 215 hp with dual exhausts. The car has a 2.73 rear end which is good for top end speed, highway cruising, and fuel economy but less than desired for low end acceleration. The car does not hit the sweet spot on the toque curve until the car is going 65 mph -70 mph

I bought it @ 61K miles from an elderly person moving into assisted living and needed to sell the car. I am third owner.

Gas milage

1. Fill up car and write down starting milage
2. Drive car until it is down to between 1/2 and 1/4 tank
3. Fill up car and write down finishing milage and how many gallons (to the tenth such as 15.7 gallons) it took to fill up the car
4. Subtract finish - starting milage and divide the answer by the number of gallons it took and you have your gas milage.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks I’ll try your method for determining gas mileage.

I’m a big fan of the Crown Victoria sounds like you have a nice one.

Going to post some pics of my car,
I just have to take them first, that’s if the dam rain ever stops! :banghead:

posted by  Driver-88

Your Message