only half of the factory radio will light up

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  only half of the factory radio will light up

hey my friend asked me to check this out and it left me stumped and i was wondering if you could help. the vehicle is a 98 chevy blazer LS , V6, there has been no previous wiring work to the vehicle.
the problem is that when driving at night only half of the radio will light up (radio is factory) i have tried checking fuses and all of the fuses are intact.
Any suggestions ?

posted by  vette2004

There's usually a single power source to the radio so I'd guess at a bulb, as one light works it won't be a fuse.

posted by  HighWayMan

does it have a face off part? is it the bit that comes off or the other 1/2? is it just the LCD screen?

posted by  cinqyg

Sounds like it needs replacing. Changing out bulbs sometimes tends to be quite expensive. On our last car, a 1991 Lexus LS400...the dash was illuminated in green strips...I'm sure you've all seen it. The radio had the same type of problem. I had it checked out and the labor to change out the bulb was $150.00... cost of the bulb...$1.98. Of course on the Lexus, to replace the headunit would've cost just over $1,000.00 bucks plus labor.

The cost to replace a bulb on a Chevy radio vs. the cost to replace the whole unit is probably pretty close. I'd think about having the whole of it replaced.

I could be wrong...(see my help stat) :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Your Message