A question on wheels (by a beginner)

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  A question on wheels (by a beginner)

Except of appearance, what are the advantages, if any, of aluminum (light-weight) wheels with respect to regular wheels? Is the car performance affected by replacing its regular wheels with aluminum ones? Does it become more economical in gas consumption?

Thanks,
Ido

posted by  idol

No to everything :thumbs:

btw..an intro would have ben nice, in the itro section! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

well yes... if the do indeed weigh less, then the whole car weighs less, so less metal for the engine to haul about needlesly..also some small advantage for unsprung weight... imagine a wheel thats very heavy, it hit a bump and gets bounced upwards against the suspension, its heavy so it takes time to react to the bump and when its at the top of its travel, it wants to try to carry on moveing but its stoped by the bump stop on the supension. So it thumps the body and one might feel it going crunch.. now think of a lighter wheel. It reacts quicker and has less weight to be slowed down by the spring so it comes to a stop quicker maybe not clashing with the bump stop at all.

posted by  sidecar_jon

well, i dont entirely egree with cliffy, alloy wheels as you point out are lighter, that is one advantage, secondly aluminium is almost as conduxtive as copper so helps brake cooling. Good quality alloy wheels can also help handeling as lower prifile tyres can be used with out the risk of the rimms cutting in.

posted by  cinqyg

Most people upgrade to larger wheels when fitting alloys, so the extra size evens out the extra weight of the steel wheels, if ya get what I mean lol.....so it wont make any difference. Also, bigger wheels with low profile tyres do very little to aid handling, infact, I find that they just make the car bounce 'round bends, in a some what unstable manner :ticking:

posted by  Cliffy

Hey guys......can you see the post above? (same as what's in the quote)..It's just that I had to refresh and now it appears that it didnt register properley... :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Only if you dont upgrade your shocks

posted by  cinqyg

Your Message