Distributor Removal

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Distributor Removal

My vacuum advance isn't doing anything, so i figured I'd remove the distributor assembly to see what was the matter. I can't get it out. I removed the bolts holding it in, and loosened the clamp; it rotates freely but there's something still holding it in there that I cannot see.
Engine is an Austin 1500 B series, with a Lucas DM-2 distributor.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3926233/DSC_3374.JPG

posted by  Bubba

I'll ask our mechanic tomorrow about this. I thought it just pulled out.....

posted by  corbett_auto

Yeah, I thought it would simply pull out, but there's definitely something holding it in there.

posted by  Bubba

Got it out, all it took was a little extra force with a screwdriver.:banghead:

posted by  Bubba

Looks like I need a new vacuum advance unit, anyone know where I could find an inexpensive replacement?

posted by  Bubba

Have you tried Moss Motors?

posted by  corbett_auto

I have, I didn't find it though. I might have found one elsewhere, not sure if I'm going to go for it yet.

posted by  Bubba

Looking further, it appears the vacuum advance unit is working. Is it normal for them to lose a vacuum over a few seconds, or are they supposed to hold it? I noticed that there's also a bit of play in the micrometer adjust nut causing the whole unit to move whenever a vacuum is applied. So the only way right now to get to advance is to tighten down the nut all the way and lose the micrometer adjustment.... :screwy:

posted by  Bubba

Your Message