additive to stop ring leak

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  additive to stop ring leak

I have a 90 dodge b250 van 5.2 litre v8.

Right now, it seems about every 2000 miles the oil is leaking from cylinder 8 and fouling the spark plug.

Its quite a hassle to replace or take the plug out because its a van and you have to take the doghouse out. I end up running on 7 cylinders a long time before I deal with it,
Also I would suspect the compression is lower on that cylinder also if oil is leaking out. What is really weird is that it passed smog running on 7 cylinders, although worse than it did 2 years ago. Before it finnally gets fouled, it will have a period where it will run right only after its heated up, assumedly the combustion chamber can blast off a small amount of oil...

SO, it is burning oil, not even that much to tell you the truth.... about 1 quart every 3000 miles.
Im not going to get a ring job.
I was wondering if anyone had success using some sort of oil additive or quick fix for burning oil in one cylinder.

posted by  stamar

I know this is not what you want to hear Most vans are a pain in the butt to work on

I would do a compression test and find out what is really going on here.

Most lube oil additives are viscosity thickeners and although MAY help your problem on the number 8 cylinder, may cause problems in other areas such as the main bearings, etc.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I wouldn't reccomend using any additives. Bite the bullet and fix the problem. Vans are a pain in the ass, I know. :ohcrap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

posted by  Wally

is an exhaust box the same as a muffler or resonator?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

posted by  Wally

Doesnt the subframe unbolt, undo the UJ as its RWD so you can lower the hole lot out the bottom, or is that just to much like comman sence. Ive found with anything major its easier and quicker just to take the whole lot out, but may be thats cuz in europe there is so little space up front that in most cars that it can take for ever to do even simple repairs. For example, head gasget on a 406 HDI, took 3 days with the engine in and 4 hours to take the subframe out, strip the engine, skim the head, put it back together, reset the cambelt and put the engine back in.

posted by  cinqyg

Good guess in many cases. One could hook a vacume gage to the manifold and find out in short order if there is a restriction in the exhaust system. The #8 plug fouling only would lead me to believe a compression check is in order to rule out major problems such as rings or valve wear. If compression test is Ok, this guy maybe looking @ valve stem seals.

1qt oil consumption / 3000 miles is really not abnormal

Another thought - Is there a possibility there could be an ignition system issue here as well. Pull the #8 plug wire, connect it to a known good spark plug or an adjustable ignition tester and see if there is a strong spark. This will rule out ignition system issues.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

posted by  Wally

Ok thanks for your insight.

Ok, A few things I forgot to mention.

One it has 81k miles, so low miles for a 90.

Second, I replaced all the plugs. plug 8 had baked on oil all over it, and the one above it had some oil on it and was not fouled. All the other ones were clean....Its actually been more like 5000 miles since the last time i looked at the spark plugs. It passed smog though like that though.

Ok, the valve cover on that head was very loose and leaking oil also, so I tightened it down. I didnt relate those two problems because I couldnt figure out how a valve cover could foul a spark plug. However reading back what you said, it is possible definitely that it is not the rings leaking oil but the valves...

However the spark plug had baked on caked on oil all over it. How can a ignition problem cause a plug to foul? Well when I changed the plugs, I changed the cap and rotor also. It has the old wires on it but I will do an ignition check next time I open the thing up. Also with a new plug the thing definitely does fire fine.

Im not going to have time to compression check or anything like that for some time, I was hoping someone had a recomendation for something to do in the meantime thats extremely easy such as an additive.

posted by  stamar

Your Message