Chevy truck transmission

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Chevy truck transmission

Hello I have a 1996 Chevy 1500 P.U. with a 5.7L Vortec V8 and a 4speed overdrive automatic transmission. I have owned it for about 11 mos. and have had a few problems with it. There was a bad vibration the turned into a bad grinding about 2 mos. ago and I had the transmission serviced thinking that was it. It turned out to be the Carrier bearing on the 2pc drive shaft.

The technician that serviced my transmission said that there were allot of metal particles in the pan and that the transmission could last 1 month or 3 years. So I have been babying it for the last 2 mos. I could notice that is was slipping a little bit from a dead stop but was not missing and shifts or any other warning signs. Then yesterday it QUIT. Taking off from a stop light it just quit pulling like it was in neutral. I towed it out of the middle of the road and checked the fluid, the level seemed fine and it was still pretty red.

I turned it off for a bit and jacked it up to check and see if anything had come loose, nothing had. I lowered it back down and started it again and I had reverse and drive but only for a minute then nothing in any gear. I checked it again today and the same thing but now there is a whining like a pump having trouble pumping.

I am not sure what transmission I have so if anyone knows what the options are and how to find out that would be of some help. I know that when the carrier bearing went out the price quoted to me for the transmission to be rebuilt was $2100.00 so if it is gone I will most likely buy a used one and put it in.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

posted by  markymark

Your Message