97' Mercury over heating. help please.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  97' Mercury over heating. help please.

High I have a mercury mistique it is a 97'. I was driving with the aircondtioner on and all of the sudden the air got hot and I saw that the engine was getting hot. I parked got stuff from the store and drove back home with the air off it still got hot and almost overheated. I got home without it smoking I have the car for 3 months and never had that problem. I poped the hood and didnt hear the fan that cools the engine when it is hot. Do you think it is the fan or something else any opinion will help Iam bringing the car to the machanic monday . thanks in advance.

posted by  Fgreco

There are two ways these systems operates

One way is the fan relay is a cooling fan temperatrue switch operates in parallel with the A/C relay - either switch energizing closes the fan relays which in turn operates the cooling fan

The other way (most common since the mid 1990's) is the AC relay and the Engine temperature sensor provides input to the ECM. The ECM then operates the fan relays which operates the fans.

most likely, you are looking @ either a bad relay, a bad fan motor, or a blown fuse

posted by  tbaxleyjr

It could also be something as simple as low coolant. Check to make sure that both the level of the overflow reservoir and the radiator are full. If the radiator is low, top it up then run the engine with the radiator cap off to bleed out any air pockets in the system.

posted by  KNTRDR

Just to put it my :2cents: , I strongly feel it's a fan relay.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thanks for your imput I will bring the car in tomarrow. Iam sure your right about the fan. Oh yeah I checked the coolent it is fine. peace.

posted by  Fgreco

Your Message