fuel starvation

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  fuel starvation

I have a 1996 grand cherokee LTD, the problem is that I let the fuel get right down (very near empty) .When i filled her up the engine coughed and spluttered but after a while ran ok.About two days later,whilst sitting for about 15 minutes with the engine ticking over,once again she faltered for a while and then stopped.When i tried to restart it was as if no fuel was getting through.Since then the engine fires up ,runs for about a minute and then stops,i can then restart it and the same happens again.
Would this be the fuel filter,fuel pump or something completely different,any ideas?

posted by  prof

My first instinct is to replace the fuel filter.

If that doesn't work, further testing of the fuel pump would be in order since that is a common cause of the problem you are describing

posted by  tbaxleyjr

posted by  Wally

true but fuel filters are cheap thus it should be the first thing tried.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

My first thought would be that you've got all the crap at the bottom of the fuel tank going through the system due to the fact that you let the fuel level drop so low. Also, diesels are extreamly hard to start when they run out of fuel and often require the system to be primed or bled out when do. In other words, running the level that low might have the same effect :thumbs: As tbaxle says, a new filter wouldn't do any harm :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

thanx folks,incidentaly i forgot to say that my vehicle is a petrol not deisel,i will purchase a new fuel filter and see what happens.

posted by  prof

LOL...Sorry, my mistake, I read 'LTD' as something like 'Limited Turbo Diesel' instead of what I assume means 'Limited'? :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message