Timing belt 95 Voyager -ASAP please!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Timing belt 95 Voyager -ASAP please!

I have a 95 voyager 3.0, and am changing the timing belt.
After removing the timing belt covers, although the rotor showed the #1 cylinder at TDC, the crankshaft pulleys were both off their timing marks by the same amount. When these were put on their mark, the Crankshaft pulley was off it's mark and the rotor was also off and pointing between two plug wires.
If I remove the timing belt and manually turn the crankshaft to it's proper timing mark, will this put everything back onto the proper timing?
Also, the Haynes manual and owners manual have the firing order listed as 123456 although the distributor configuration is far from that. What is the proper firing order?
My son needs a vehicle to head to work back on campus this weekend, my brother is coming in from Colorado and would like to use the LHS he gave us so he can take his family around and we all have a graduation this weekend back in our home town, so I really need to get this back us up and running ASAP.

posted by  D. Strickland

Firing order is the one listed in your owners book

most cars, the two marks align when the #1 cylinder is @ TDC. Verify this with a DIY manual (either haynes, motor or Chilton) or the factory service manual

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I have done the timing belts on, I swear it was a 3.0 liter before....might have been the Chrysler 3.3L. In any event, I think that the 3.0L is a DOHC motor. Each Cam sprocket has a timing notch on it that must line up with a respective notch on the housing. The crankshaft gear also has one. When everything is aligned, each of the three notches will line up to it's respective notch on the housing. It sounds like your engine is mis-timed as it is from what I am reading. Is it running now or is it running poorly? You may have jumped a notch or two on the belt or something to cause mis-timing. When that notch on the Crank gear is aligned, your number one cylinder will be at TDC. All other marks need to align respectively. If all three are aligned, then you should be good. As for the firing order, it is probably stamped on the block or intake somewhere and if not, look in the manual. Also this engine should have a distributor I believe.....you can determine firing order by removing the cap and determining the rotation of the rotor IE) CW or CCW and then follow the path of the spark plug wire from each rotor contact that the rotor comes to in sequential order down to the spark plug it goes to. This will calc. firing order.

posted by  cmeseadoin

I have done the timing belts on, I swear it was a 3.0 liter before....might have been the Chrysler 3.3L. In any event, I think that the 3.0L is a DOHC motor. Each Cam sprocket has a timing notch on it that must line up with a respective notch on the housing. The crankshaft gear also has one. When everything is aligned, each of the three notches will line up to it's respective notch on the housing. It sounds like your engine is mis-timed as it is from what I am reading. Is it running now or is it running poorly? You may have jumped a notch or two on the belt or something to cause mis-timing. When that notch on the Crank gear is aligned, your number one cylinder will be at TDC. All other marks need to align respectively. If all three are aligned, then you should be good. As for the firing order, it is probably stamped on the block or intake somewhere and if not, look in the manual. Also this engine should have a distributor I believe.....you can determine firing order by removing the cap and determining the rotation of the rotor IE) CW or CCW and then follow the path of the spark plug wire from each rotor contact that the rotor comes to in sequential order down to the spark plug it goes to. This will calc. firing order.

posted by  cmeseadoin

OPPS,,,,the server response on this site is ABOMINABLE......Someone needs to check it out as something ain't right. I cannot be "network traffic." Hence the double posting....GRRRRR :cussing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message