tires for a 1967 Caddy

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  tires for a 1967 Caddy

I've got a 1967 Caddy Deville Convertible. The tires it has look like snow tires 235/75/R15. They need to be replaced - someone told me a while back that this car has problems with modern radials - it requires 'low pressure' tires, with an eliptical? pattern, and that if I use the wrong tires, the steering will have problems returning to center.

When I go to the local tire shops, they look at me like I'm nuts, and try to sell me SUV tires.

Can anyone recommend tires that will track and steer correctly for this car ?

thanks,
Andy

posted by  old_car1234

I'm sure that if you contact a Cadillac dealer...they might be able to shed some light on the subject. ??? Or maybe a forum exists for Classic Cadillacs out there in cyberland.

posted by  BavarianWheels

The main issues you have are on this car is the load rating. Many cadillacs and similar cars (Olds 98, Buick Electra 225, etc.) ran either 9.00 - 15 (J78-15) 0r 9.15-15 (L-78-15) The J-78 had a 32 psig load rating of 1860 lbs while the L-78 had a 32 psig rating of 1970 lbs. The P235-75-15 is the closest match to the L-78

Is this car being prepped or restored as a show car?

Please don't take this as advertisement but instead, trying to help someone source the hard to find OEM style and size tires. Coker Tire (800-251-6336) can probably help shed some light as to what was on the car from the factory and provide or locate those tires. They operate through several distributors through the US and thoughout Europe. www.coker.com is their website.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks for the replies. I have seen some vintage tires outlets that sell the bias ply tires that originally came on this car - if I was going for a show quality restoration I'd take that route - but there are several other non original items on this car, so I'm hoping to go with radials - just trying to decide which ones.

posted by  old_car1234

if you are looking for radials, you are looking @ the P235-75 15 to comply with the car's load rating

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message