smell on the engine block

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  smell on the engine block

hi, im new to this forum, and i need your help :D

my car is a mitsubishi lancer, 2000 model, 1.8 litre.
the problem is this:
when i drive my car after 10 minutes or so, i can smell something burning..but its not as bad as a burning stuf...but the smell is not like the usuall smell when the engine is hot...i've been driving for almost 10 years...but i cant figure it our what is the smell and where it from...

the last time i change my brake pad is about 1 month ago..maybe more..

but, when i smell the tire, front and rear...the smell is not as strong as the smell on the engine area (basicly under the hood), which i dont think its the brake pad...or could it be?
and could it be my spark plug is worn out...that make the temperature too hot?

thanks for your help..

posted by  bhothak426

check for dead animals :laughing: .Ok, Is it making your engine hot or does it just smell real bad?

posted by  archangle

posted by  Wally

well it doesnt make the engine hot...the temp show normal...
its just a smell from somewhere under the hood...im not exactly sure..
thats why i need some help :drool:

posted by  bhothak426

what do you mean by this?
what is blowby? :D

posted by  bhothak426

Is the smell coming from the engine bay or around the tail pipe? look around and see if you can find any obvious tranny fluid, lube oil, or other fluid leaks first. Look for them @ places where they can drip on a hot manifold, exhaust pipe, catalytic converter (AKA cats), etc.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

You could have any number of things going on.....TINY little bit of coolant/oil/power steering/trans fluid leaking onto the block/exhaust somewhere, slipping belt, something getting hot such as a bad bearing in a power steering pump or some rubber hose servicing some area under the hood starting to rot or over heat giving off a funky smell. Also a rubber hose touching the exhaust slightly could to it as well as a wire in a harness somewhere overheating and starting to melt the insulation. Without seeing the car I can't tell you for sure but what I can tell you is that it AIN'T the spark plugs, LOL.

Blowby= small amounts of oil/fuel typically going from the top of the engine down into the crankcase due to compression. This is normal to a certain degree and obviously in extreme cases, there can be a cause outside the norm. If rings are worn, you can start to burn small amounts of oil that get past the rings and into the combustion chamber. I highly doubt this is your problem at all with a 2000 Lancer. Being the type of car that it is, do you have a lowering kit on it where you could have some rub going on somewhere? Just a thought!

posted by  cmeseadoin

I bet cmeseadoin's response was a dissappointment :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

My T-Bird has a small oil leak somewhere which manages to travel the length of the motor and drip neatly on to the exhaust. So while there's very little oil consumption at the end on my 1hr ride to work there's a smell and if you lift the hood you can send smoke signals! Is it possible you may have something like that?

I my case of course I need a gasket that Partsamerica and Autozone don't list "the oil filter adapter gasket" you may be luckier :wink2:

posted by  HighWayMan

It may not be what he wanted to hear, but truth be said, it is about the best that can be done online. Too many questions that none of us have the answer to and the number one question is, where is the car so I can personally look at it?! :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

does this will do a serious damage to my car?
should i have to bring the car to the service as soon as i possible?

posted by  bhothak426

depends on what is leaking ans where it is leaking. A couple of drops of oil - no, a lot of oil - yes, leaking fuel - always yes Cant say for sure without looking @ car which is sort of tough to do on internet

posted by  tbaxleyjr

First off, this is not written in english and I can't read it....secondly....YES, I would judge from all other factors that you need to take the car into a certified shop to have it accessed. We cannot tell you what is wrong with your car online, we can only use valid info that you provide to make judgement calls and speculate based on wisdom and knowledge. :banghead:

Do yourself and me a favor, take it to a shop!!

posted by  cmeseadoin

clean the vent tube

posted by  cinqyg

Yeah, just put your big phat lips on it and BLOW! Crap, I just got a little excited, lemme excuse myself!!! :orglaugh:

posted by  cmeseadoin

I think ur thinking about ur mrs, we dont all get so much practice at inflate our women.

posted by  cinqyg

you don't inflate her? :doh:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message