Next issue with the 1996 Grand Am

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Next issue with the 1996 Grand Am

I swear I like the car and it never leaves me anywhere on the side of the road, BUT DAMN this thing has more issues than Dolly Parton has Silicone. Ok here we go:

Anyone ever pulled the WHOLE DASH out of one of these cars? I have had issues with firewall factory seals leaking water into driver's and pass's floor pan for a while now. I think I have the Driver's side corrected but the passenger's side has many other factors be it that this is the side with the heater/a/c box and all the vent cowl that can be a major source of leaks. I have sealed that up from under the hood, in the wiper bay (cowl) and under the dash but the friggin a'c is leaking water into the floor pan still a little and it is worse in the rain so I think I have some external water getting in too. I believe that the only way that the a/c evap water from the humidity can get into the floor pan is if the a/c drain through the firewall is blocked which it is NOT. Here is my speculation: The suction pressure side (low side) R-134a line that routes through the firewall to the evaporator must be internally sweating and then soaking the firewall foam that is between the a/c box and the metal firewall. When it soaks the foam enough, it is dripping. I have removed all under-carpet padding from the floor pan and replaced it with towels that I can change and I am SICK of doing this. I have been seriously tempted to pull the WHOLE damn dash and redo the WHOLE thing but I am NOT looking forward to that job. Disconnecting all a/c lines and heater lines would have to be done. Anyone got the same problem or done this job to a 1996 Grand am?

posted by  cmeseadoin

Hate to tell you bro but Dolly Parton Is (from my understanding) all Natural.

posted by  Zderad

Find any citizen of Sevier County Tennessee and ask. I am sure someone up there knows.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

well i really don't care, I just want help with my problem.... WHERE IS VWHOBO when I need him???????? :banghead: :cussing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Unfortunately, I've not pulled the dash on a General Motors N body when I had mine (the 1990 Skylark) and cant help much there. Got any friends who operates a body shop? A couple of folks who have done collision rebuilds for salvage titles may know too.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Is that the area you are from? :thumbs:

posted by  Zderad

I grew up in Blount County, one of the counties immediately ajacent to Sevier. I currently live in the Southeastern Tennessee

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I go to Lakeview Marina on Boone Lake when I am there and have been on Warriors path too. Are you in Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol area? :-)

posted by  cmeseadoin

I lived right below Ft Patrick Henry Dam in Colonial Heights (Warriors Path Park) from 1988 until 1996 when I got transferred to the Chattanooga TN area which ia about 1 1/2 hr southwest from Knoxville and 1 1/2 hr Northwest from Atlanta, Ga

Blount, Sevier, Knox County (Knoxville area) where I grew up is about 2 hrs southwest down I-81

I understand next issue type of questions - I am inheriting/acquiring a 1990 Buick Century with 25K miles within the next couple of months. Considering the previous owner (my 91 yr old grandmother), I am scared of a bunch of next issues when I get the car down here and start sorting the issues out.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message