94 ford check engine light prob

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  94 ford check engine light prob

Hey I hope someone can help..I have a 94 crown vic that has just started giving me problems.. the check engine light started coming on and off and my mechanic couldnt find out why..said there were no codes stored so I drove it for a awhile, then it started almost stalling if it wasnt warmed up and the light was still on. when i brought it back to the mechanic to cold start it to see when the light came on, they came up with a code #214 which the computer says is not for this car. The mechanic says theyve never seen that before .I was hoping someone here might know something about this. thanks

posted by  bberls

Apparently...you may need to find a new mechanic. A DTC 214 on your car equals Cylinder Identification Circuit (CID) failure, which if your mechanic had any knowledge besides how to replace parts (and pick his nose) would know this points you to the Camshaft Position Sensor and/or it's associated wiring. Experience dictates that the sensor is usually good for about 125k miles and then needs to be replaced.

posted by  BavarianWheels

My 1992 Crown Victoria LX has the same generation 4.6L V8 as bberls 1994 Crown Vic. I would upload a photo but the smallest file my digital camera will make is larger than my upload limit It is on the front driver side cylinder head directly below the ignition coil packs

One could trouble shoot the thing with volt and ohm meters but the simplest way is to replace it with a new one (NAPA, Autozone, etc - $25-$30), clear the trouble codes by lifting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes (or with a scanner like I do) and see if it works. 90% odds the camshaft sensor is the most likely culprit. Also check the wiring and make sure the connections @ the camshaft sensor, the ignition module, and the ECM are solid (including grounds)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Don't you have something like Photoshop?

I have the introductory version of photoshop as well as One of Epson's editors - will cropping get the file size down?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I did some editing - the pictures are of the camshaft sensor for a 92-95 Crown Vic

posted by  tbaxleyjr

The best thing to do...other than cropping out the unnecessary, is to click and choose your file size. It'll update the pic for you as you change the settings and then you save it. Nothing is done to the file until you click OK.

I've gotten some considerably large files...like my sig pic...from 12Mb pics (the three together) and put them down to 20kb. It makes for great pics to post on the web. Resolution is so low that nothing really can be done with them of great importance but they are solely for viewing.

This mechanic must have been picking somewhere besides his nose (i.e. opposite end and about 3 ft lower) D I S ignition systems and the associated codes in the EEC IV computer system have been around the Ford stable since the late 1980s -

posted by  tbaxleyjr

thanks for your replies... Just wanted to double check, that part would cause the car to just about stall when cold and then run better when warmed up??

posted by  bberls

It usually works the other way around...as far as I know, for example, the car runs a high RPM's when cold (kind of like the auto choke is jammed on) and once warmed up, it idles far too low causing the car to stall :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Other failures can cause idle speed difficulties. When running the diagnostics on a Ford EEC-IV system, there are several tests to be run. 1, Key on-Engine off (KOEO) and Key on,engine running (KOER). A 214 code is a continious memory code which means either the code was set one time in the past or if the service engine light is on and the continious memory code is set, a possible chronic problem. Before moving on to any to any other issues, this one must be resolved.

The wiggle test I described earlier (clear codes if no problems found or after the camshaft sensor is replaced) is done after clearing codes - you wiggle the wiring with the car running (watch for moving parts) and see if you can cause the car to set the code

How the Ford Distributorless Ignition system works is the crankshaft sensor (behind the AC compressor lower engine block passenger side) provides an engine RPM signal using a hall effect type sensor. This engine RPM signal is transferred to the ECM through the ignition module. The camshaft sensor provides the #1 cylinder reference signal to the ECM. The ECM to sends voltage signals to the ignition module (located driver inner fender between wheel well and fire wall) and the DIS ignition coils (front of engine both sides) which fires the cylinder at the right time. The car uses waste spark distribution which means in simple terms the energy is sent to "paired cylinders one of which is exhausting and the ther approaching TDC. Obviously, the cylinder in exhaust stroke will not support a strong spark thus the majority of the energy goes to the cylinder with fuel-air mixture approaching TDC on compression stroke.

The ignition timing is controlled by the ECM based on engine speed (crank sensor), temperature (from the Coolant temperature sensor), is the car cruising accelerating or slowing down (the throttle position sensor and limit swithces) and on 2000 and later Crown Vics as well as other cars, engine knocking (Knock sensor)

Your cylinder reference error thus a bad camshaft sensor or is somewhere in the wiring between the camshaft sensor and the ECM or possibly between the ECM and ignition module.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message