Nissan Altima power window

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Nissan Altima power window

I have a newly acquired '93 Altima. 4dr, auto trans, 4 cyl, 113k miles, power locks and windows.
According to my daughter, the rear drivers side window went down by itself with a kind of squeaking noise. I can't pull it back up.
The power radio antenna had been replaced with a non power antenna a week before. The front windows work but neither back window worked prior to this incident.
Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
rcleese

posted by  rcleese

There's several possibilities in this case. The window motors could be broken, or the wiring could be shorting out(or perhaps more). I'm not sure how to fix this so i'll leave it to somebody else :thumbs:

posted by  Bubba

sounds like you are going to have to take off the side pannal and then try and pull the window up. If that does not work you might have to get a new motor for the window

posted by  archangle

Yes the side pannel would work and when you do, check the window mechanism and wiring to see what condition it's in. See if there's any broken gears or whatnot.

The easiest way I have found to remove the door panel is using a pair of needle nose pliers.
If you are going to remove the panel for replacement it is easy, just rip it off. But if you plan on using the panel again it can be tricky to remove with out breaking the pressboard. Years of moisture weaken the panel. Clips will pull through the soft pressboard. The key is to pull on the clip only without putting, or trying not to put pressure on the panel itself.
Use a flat screwdriver to hunt around between the panel and the door frame. When you locate a clip try to grab it from both sides with the needle nose pliers. Pull ******ds (toward the edge of door) while prying out will get the clip out. The first few are the hardest because of the blind hunting required; you may get frustrated and just start yanking. Go slow and gently. For locations of the clips, visit the clip location page. It will help you to know where to start looking.

While the panel is off this is a good time to do some door maintenance, it may help the window problem and stop the squeak you talked about:

lubricate the window raising components and door handles,
replace the pressboard of the door panel,
fit a new water barrier (sheet plastic) if there isn't one
replace the gasket around the outer door handle.
replace waist seals (rubber seal between door and window glass)

posted by  Bubba

why did it censor ******ds?

EDIT: O U T W A R D S???

posted by  Bubba

beats me

posted by  archangle

UFF!!!! Fix the Censor!!! LOL :laughing:

posted by  Bubba

I got the door panel partly detatched. The clips were easy to pop out and look like they'll go back just as easy. However the door handle assembly will have to be removed to remove the panel. I'll deal with that tommorow.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the help.
rcleese

posted by  rcleese

I got the door panel off and the insides looked to be in pretty good shape.
I simply disconnected the window from the motor assembly and propped it up in the closed position. Dismantling the door to get to the motor and gears was a larger job than I'm comfortable with right now.
So my daughter can take it to our local import auto mechanic at her leasure without having to worry about rain.
Thanks again for your help.
Rcleese

posted by  rcleese

Your Message