carb help w/ 86 mustang

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  carb help w/ 86 mustang

My 1986 Musang Lx 2.3L, 4 cylander is running very rich. i need help reducing the amount of gas getting to the carb or other ways to help the excessive use of gas. Someone help please!

posted by  Lexmonkey

posted by  Wally

The 86 Ford mustang does not have ignition points. It is an electronic hall effect type distributor controled by the ECM

The 86 Mustang LX with a 2.3L Non -turbocharged L-4 has the electronic ignition, the EEC-IV engine management computer used on all Fords from about 1984-1995. It probably has a 1bbl Carter YFA feedback carb.

If the car hasn't been tuned up within past 30K miles or you don't remember when it was last tuned, its time for a tune up. Items to be adderssed include

Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, PCV Valve, base ignition timing if the car has timing marks, curb idle speed, fast idle speed, check vacume hoses.

Next, run KOEO, KOER, and cylinder balance test on EEC-IV system. Repair anything detected through the trouble codes

If you get into the carb, the float, fast idle, and de-choke are the only adjustments. Since this is a feed back carb, many of the adjustments required during a rebuild are difficult to do @ home. A rebuilt carb for this car is approx $350 plus exchange

posted by  tbaxleyjr

When you get the chance, would you explain in laymen(laidback) terms, what is a "feedback carb" ?

posted by  lectroid

thanxs every 1 for all the help

posted by  Lexmonkey

I'm wondering the same :ohcrap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Is there such a word as "LAIDBACK" :oops: :banghead:

posted by  lectroid

No. But your close :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

posted by  Wally

Feedback carbs are found in most US Cars built between about 1979 and the mid to late 1980s. The engine control functions such as fuel metering, sometimes fast idle/choke control are governed by control outputs from the cars ECM (in the case of this Mustang the EEC-IV ). The inputs to the ECM are similar to those found on fuel injected cars such as the O2 sensor, MAF sensor, coolant temperature sensor, throttle position sensor, etc.

The term feed-back comes from the computer side of things - the carb does something, the O2 sensor and other sensors provide feedback to the computer/controller which adjust the carb

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Sounds a lot like a BI system :doh: Sounds like a good mix of electronicly controlled things though. :mrgreen:

posted by  DodgeRida67

close - The feedback carb controlled the metering jets. TBI, the next common evolution (low production cost) had an electronic injector (or two depending on if we were dealing with GM, Ford or Chrysler) controled by a single pulse width signal similar to the way the multi-port systems are controlled today. Multi-port systems were in use some on more sophistocated cars (I had one on a 1986 Dodge 600 2.2L Turbo) and on high dollar cars

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I understand, just have never heard the term"feedback carb" Thanks. And thank you Wally for nothing. :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

Your Message