1994 Ford Taurus Auto Climate Control issue

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1994 Ford Taurus Auto Climate Control issue

Hey all,

Got a brief question for someone with experience with a/c and more specifically, automatic climate control in a 1994 Ford Taurus SHO with the automatic trans and yamaha 3.2L V-6.

Here the scenario:
While driving from a "cold" scenario, the air conditioning works just fine and functions correctly. You can be driving down the road and all of a sudden the air starts warming up. If you get out when this is happening and look at the compressor under the hood, the clutch has disengaged electromagnetically, therefore, is not spining. Usually once the car has sat for a while and you turn the system back on, you'll get it to work again. Sometimes it will work correctly until you get to where you are going, shut off the engine and come back to leave and turn on the system, sometimes it will not come back on, meaning the compressor will not trip on. This is my father's car and it has about 70K miles on it. Due to the fact that it has automatic digital climate control I am a little skeptical on how to tackle this. There are NO error codes popping up on the digital display which leads me to thinking that there may be a problem with the a/c compressor clutch relay, the coil for the actual clutch gets hot and trips out, the high pressure switch, the low pressure switch, thermister if equipped, etc. rather than a problem with the computer that controls auto climate??? When it work, the air is ice cold. I cannot find an "a/c relay" on this car that would control the a/c clutch. Does anyone know anything about this and this car????? Thanks alot.

posted by  cmeseadoin

You can start by checking if the clutch is getting any power to it at all when this problem occurs. :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

What part of my posting where I stated did you not understand? This means that I have determined the clutch not to be engaging when this happens, thus causing the air to warm up. I know that when the system is working the clutch is engaged, thus getting power. I am looking for information that would help me determine if I have a bad auto climate module or if this particular car is equipped with an A/C compressor clutch relay that might be tripping out or if the clutch coil itself might be on the way out.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message