1985 Toyota Camry AC Problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1985 Toyota Camry AC Problems

:banghead: I have an 1985 Toyota Camry. There is an on-off switch to engauge the compressor for the AC. This switch has a background light. Recently, the AC light, when on, started to flash. This is also an indicator that the compressor is no longer producing cold air. I have tried pushing the switch on and off to no avail. The light will keep flashing.
The strange thing is that if I shut the car off, even for a second, I can switch the unit on and the light will stay on for a little while (for a minute or two), or for hours... (Just hard to predict).
Any thought would be apreciated.

posted by  Rod Rage

Technically, the compressor doesn't produce "cold air". It produces hot air. When you compress a gas, it gets hot. It's when the freon is being de-compressed it gets cold.

You never really made it clear (atleast I didnt think so) is the air conditioning not working or is this light just gone bananas?

posted by  DodgeRida67

There is no cold air once the light starts flashing.... going bananas.
:banghead:

posted by  Rod Rage

Ok well. I think you should start by checking the freon pressure. If it's not up where it should be, the compressor will not engauge. No cold air. And your light will flash. :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

here's 2 possible checks
1. if your ac compressor is in plain sight watch to see if the compressor is turning on
2. have a friend sit in your car with the engine on but a/c off and have him push the a/c on button you should hear the car rev a lil higher when he hits it

if not on either above then your compressor probably isnt functioning (you cannot replace a compressor yourself it's illegal and you cant legally buy the r-12 for your car)
a/c is really one of those things that you need to take to a shop... sry :ohcrap:

posted by  Pieface

Yeah that's it, if the compressor does not come on it is DEFINITLY the compressor, right? WRONG!!!!! There are a number of things that could be wrong....first we'd need way more troubleshooting information as to what is going on. Refrigerant pressures and the condition of the system...leaks, pressure switches...are they working, etc? So, pieface, don't advise that when the switch is close looped, if the compressor does not come on it is bad. You'll cause this guy to go buy a compressor for hundreds of bucks and then when he finds out you mis-lead him, you'll definitly have a big phat pie smacked in your face!

posted by  cmeseadoin

That's why I told him to start with a pressure test :hi:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Oh I know Dodge! :smoke: It's pieface who's yielding all this BS info. on here. :hi: Gotta put an end to that.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Hi Rod,
Did you ever find out what the problem was with your a/c.
I seem to have the same problem on my toyota. A/C light starts to flash after some driving (sometimes after 10 minutes, and sometimes after an hour). Guaged the system and I am getting 2 bar on low and 12 bar on high pressure when engine is raised. On idle it low pressure goes up to nearly 4 bar. Could this be a problem ?
Regards
Joe

posted by  zanadu

Your Message