1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Problem

I have a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 RB with a 3.8 V6. I bought it used just about 6 months ago. It sat in a garage for almost 4 months before I bought it and was never started between when it got put in the garage to when I purchased it. After about 2 weeks of me driving it, it stalled out when I was excellerating and it ended up that the fuel pump had gone bad. I got a new fuel pump installed and it was still hessitating during excelleration. I bought a bottle of fuel system cleaner and put that in the fuel tank thinking that maybe the injectors were dirty. It still does the same thing every once and a while. The Service Engine Soon light comes out and goes off all the time and I tried to get it diagnosed but according to the gentleman at Auto-Zone with older cars they can not diagnose it unless the light is on at the time. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be? The only thing the car does is seems like it's not getting gas and it hessitates during excelleration and/or at speeds above 40mph.

Thank you.

posted by  pistolgripbmx

First of all ur computer stores the code so its readable. Screw AutoZone u dont need em, get a wire or a paper clip and under ur steering wheel/dashboard there is a dignostic port to rows, lets say 10 across the top and 10 across the bottom. Put the paper clip or wire in the last to terminals on the top row. Than turn the ignition to the ON position(DO NOT START THE CAR) the check engine light will flash

it will flash once, then pause for a second and flash again twice, that means code 12, which means everything is functioning, it'll flash that code 3 times than it will flash the code thats stored lets say it flashs 3 times quickly than pauses than flashes 4 times quickly, thats code 34, it will flash code 34 3 times and than it will go back to flashing code 12 three times, and it will either flash code 34 again three times, meaning thats the only error code stored, or it will flash a different code 3 times meaning there is more than one error code go through em all until it starts to repeat itself. Write em down, and search em up on the net as to wat they mean, or post the codes u read here and i can tell u.

To mean it seems like a sensor isnt functioning, TPS is not working or not properly set, MAF may be failing, O2 sensor wouldnt be a bad idea to change being an old car in all. I have a 85 Olds Cutlass Ciera with a 3.8L V6 as well.
You should change all the fluids because its been sitting for a while. Change all filters, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter, clean ur battery terminals and grounds. That'll improve it greatly.

posted by  speedy266

I came up with a code 41, 44, and 63.

posted by  pistolgripbmx

OK well code 41 could mean Cam Sensor failure or some sort of ignition problem like Electronic Spark timing (EST) circuit - open or shorted to ground during engine run. Direct Ignition system (DIS) fault - bypass circuit open or shorted to ground during engine run.

Code 44 means Lean Exhaust indicated either the O2 sensor is faulty or like uve been describeing, some sort of fuel problem, not getting enough of it, pressure is too low. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator??

Code 63 means EGR flow problem or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor fault (if your car even has one) or an oxygen sensor fault

Because urs is an 88 3.8, its a bit different than mine, thats why i had to get general meanings of those codes for GM vechiles. Code 44 is the most straight forward same for my 3.8.

Hope that helps.

posted by  speedy266

More than likely, trouble code 41 is a camshaft position sensor for 1990 and earlier Olds and Biuck V-6's.

Another cause for code 44 if the O2 sensor is good is vacume leaks (rotten hoses, intake manifold gasket, fuel injector O-rings, etc.)

Code 63 involves problems with the EGR system. These V-6's did not get MAP sensors until 1996. On other GM's, it also indicates cruise control servo issues. For drivability problems, I would look into the EGR system first

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to replace the O2 sensor tomorrow and see how that does. I know the O2 sensor is located on the exhaust manifold, correct? but exactly where? If anyone has a picture or description that would be awesome.

posted by  pistolgripbmx

Also when I first bought the car it wasn't running and we replaced the coil pack, would that have anything to do with the first code, 41?

posted by  pistolgripbmx

The coil packs will cause a no spark condition but probably will not set a code 41 on a 3.8L A bad ignition module (located under the coil packs) will possibly cause a code 41 since it is part of the camshaft position sensor circuit between the sensor and the ECM

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I replaced the O2 sensor and it seems to be hesitating more than before. Any ideas as to what could be wrong with it, I still get the code 41 coming up. Thanks!

posted by  pistolgripbmx

=cgpgcj on my coil pack when i touch the number 4 spark plug wire the coil pack my car stops running. What causes that?

posted by  cgpgcj

I have a 1992 Olds Delta 88 V6. The vehicle was shutting down occasionally as I was driving down the road, not often but enough to be a concern. The car would usually start right back up again, but sometimes it required a wait of 5 to 10 minutes before it would start. The problems was not the camshaft ignition sensor unit, but the magnet which is clipped onto the camshaft that provides the pulse that the sensor reads to start the next firing sequence. This magnet is attached in the older Oldsmobiles by a plastic clip, rather than being bolted on or wired on as in some other vehicles. This clip wears out and then the magnet falls off, which gives the camshaft ignition sensor nothing to read. This can show up as a camshaft ignition sensor problem, because the magnet falling off has the same impact as if you would unplug the ignition sensor unit. Replacement requires opening the timing housing which involves dropping the pan, etc. A lot of labor for a small problem. Once you get into the timing housing, you may as well replace the timing belt, clips and sensor as well to be done with it. This can be an expensive repair on an older car, but it can resolve a dangerous situation where your car simply shuts down as you are driving down the road. You would be well advised to have the problem diagnosed before jumping in with parts, etc.

posted by  stspray

Actually, this model of Olds has a timing chain, not a timing belt. The same principle applies though, when you go to this much trouble to get into the timing housing, you may as well upgrade everything you can, including the sensor, magnet, chain and clips.

posted by  stspray

Your Message