2001 Jeep Cherokee Engine Light

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2001 Jeep Cherokee Engine Light

Just curious if anyone knows how to reset the check engine light on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, bar disconnecting the battery. Apparently this vehicle has a faulty sensor and the cost of replacement does not justify the minor annoyance of having a little yellow light on the dash. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

posted by  SwampOakForest

Your check engine light will stay on until you replace this bad sensor and then reset the light. If you only reset the light it will come on again as soon as the ecm sees that the sensor is faulty.

posted by  DodgeRida67

You obviously don't understand why that light is on. You have a bad sensor, probably O2 and the light is telling you that you need to replace it. It will not go out nor is there a way to cause it to go out until it is correctly replaced. What Dodge told you is exactly correct. No matter how minor a sensor may be to you, it is there for a reason and plays a part in the whole electronics and electrical "eco" system of the vehicle. By continuing to drive with something bad, you may damage the computer system in the truck as well as the emissions system. You may suffer poor engine performance and degraged gas mileage as well. What sensor is bad according to the OBDII scan/test? OBD II is very sensitive which is a pain in the ass and things are not cheap, but if something ain't working, you'd best replace it. The only way I know to stop that light from coming on it to pull the bulb from the printed circuit on the dash panel (some are not a buld but an LED soldered to the the printed circuit).....OR place a piece or tape on the instrument cluster so you don't see the light... :orglaugh: :orglaugh: :orglaugh:....I always find that correcting an electrical problem the correct way is the right thing to do though..... :banghead: GOOD LUCK

posted by  cmeseadoin

Oh and one more thing, don't do that "my check engine light is on so I'll disconnect the battery crap." It makes diagnosing the problem MUCH more difficult because that is not at all the correct way to pull down codes and stop the light from coming on. It does not clear history codes either. All it does (and sometimes it does not work) is to de-illuminate the light for now. If there is a problem like in your case, it'll be right back on, just you wait. That is why I bought a very expensive scanner for all my cars, I can pull any codes, run tests and the like myself. If you have a real problem, the only way around that light is fix the problem.

posted by  cmeseadoin

From reading your posts cmeseadoin I can tell that you are much more literate about cars than I. I read above that you bought a scanner for your car. My questions to you are must you be very auto "smart" to use these scanners. Can I teach myself how to use one of these scanners with proper reading? Does this type of scanner work with a jeep grand cherokee laredo (1996)? I unlike you am not very smart when it comes to cars but since i have about two months off, I would like to learn as much as I can. Thanks for any info.

posted by  vniles100

First of all I would like to advise Mr./Mrs. Swampoakforest of a few things considered to be popular and CONSIDERATE policy in a chat forum. When you post some questions or concerns looking for help, it is nice to come back and thank whoever it is that took the time to help you. By you not doing this Swamp, you will cut yourself short of any help I might be able to throw at you in another situation down the road. Contrary to what you might think, I can promise you I am a real person with two arms and two legs on the other end of this forum board; Fantasy characters in cyberspace that know lots about cars and voluntary give up there time to assist YOU for NOT even a "thank you" are not the case dude/dudette, so get a clue.

I WORKED for JEEP (Daimler Chrysler) from 1998-2000 before getting involved in the Information Technology arena and probably know more about that truck of yours than anyone else you are aquainted with. Anyways, point taken I should hope. You've not even acknowledged this posting since you wrote it on 6/27. I thought "any help would be much appreciated????" I guess stupid IS as stupid does!! At least through this "waist of time" I seemed to enbark upon, maybe I can help VNILES out.

Vniles, yes you can learn how to use these scanners. It DEFINITLY helps out if you have some time of automotive knonwledge though. Such as, the different VPW protocols and CAN information transport chains that automotive manufacturers use. The best thing BEFORE even CONSIDERING getting a scanner and spending the money is to educate yourself. Take some courses or read some literature. Understand WHAT you are doing when you are working with a vehicle's pcm, ecm, ecu or ipc. That's the best I can really give you. Challenge yourself to the task. If you know basics, start there and work your way to the more difficult computer items!!! Good Luck :thumbs: I've done everything I know through hands on. That is the ONLY way I work. Screw all that reading shit! I did enough of that for a lifetime in college and I'll be damned if I am EVER going to do it again. :orglaugh: :hi:

posted by  cmeseadoin

I hear you on the reading part. Just finished school myself. :wink2: Unfortunately I don't even know the basics so I need to start there. I was thinking about some courses and think that is what I will do (when I can afford it) in the meantime, I guess i will keep reading. (just a little afraid of the hands on part, really don't want to make matters worse). Once I feel that I have a little knowledge then maybe I will begin to play with the hands on. I will hold off getting a scanner until I feel capable of handling it. I am determined to learn but realize that it may take time. Anyway thanks for the quick response.

posted by  vniles100

Hey, no problemo! :-) Yeah you can learn it and you sound determined. I wish you the best, hands on is the way to go. If you are around a place where you can play with things, that is best. Don't be afraid to try things after you feel you have somewhat of a grasp on what you are doing and how to do it. I know there are TONS of things I got into with this 1976 Buick Electra Limited I just restored and when i got into them, I was like OH SHIT, I just know when I hit the key the engine's just gonna BLOW up, catch on fire and fly to pieces with metal permanently implanted in my garage walls, but all turned out well, LOL.......:-P So good luck. Also if you have other questions, post them in here. There are some knowledgable people in here and I tend to come in maybe every other day and sometimes not on weekend because I am doing other things. But I'll see the posts when I do log in and help you out if I can. Best wishes guy! :-)

posted by  cmeseadoin

Thanks as you said I am determined but this guy is actually a gal.

posted by  vniles100

The scan tool is just that - another tool. It is vital for diagnosing many systems on newer cars. It does not, however, replace the need for understanding the fundamentals of auto mechanics.

Much of diagnosis and trouble shooting is a willingness to learn about how things work and using reasoning skills to find the actual problem or root cause.

By the way, I don't know if this was mentioned or not, lifting the neg terminal on the battery will not erase codes on an OBDII compliant system - this needs to be done with a scan tool

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I am willing to learn and have started my journey to learn. I understand that it is just a tool and I won't get this tool until I have the knowledge that I need to be able to use it accurately. thanks

posted by  vniles100

OPPS, gal that is! :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

The willingness to learn is essential.

An example of learning how to troubleshoot effectively is this one - My daughters 1999 Nissan Altima set a check engine light. I pulled the codes and received four or five trouble codes including P0135 (Front O2 sensor heater), P0131 (Front O2 sensor lean shift monitoring), P0141 (Rear O2 sensor heater), P0443 (evaporative canister soleniod valve and a P0505 (Idle air control valve). Instead of rushing out to buy a bunch of parts and spending a couple of hundred bucks, I thought there has to be a common link to all of these devices since it is unlikely to have this much stuff fail @ once (unless someone fired the electrical circuit using incorrect procedures). A look-see @ the engine control wiring schematic diagram indicated all of these devices were powered from fuse #7 in the interior fuse block. The fuse had some corrosion on the terminals. I replaced a $0.25 fuse and used diaectric grease to prevent future corrosion, cleared the codes and the car is fine.

This example is why I say the scan tool is just that - another tool

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks I will keep that in mind. :hi:

posted by  vniles100

Hi, I was reading an old posting you created about a jeep cherokee light and Im hoping your Jeep expertise could help me. The story goes I filled up at an Arco in and a few days later I got off the freeway only to get a Check Engine light and a very smokey exhaust/motor (very smokey!). At first I thought I had water so I immediately put a can of dry gas in and drove to a station to fill up with some 91 octane. Nonetheless I took it to a jeep dealer and they told me I got diesel in my gas. Well the Arco I went to doesnt even have diesel on that pump, so I certainly didnt do it (its either sabotage or someone at arco put diesel in their tank??). Anywho, they wanted $1350 to fix it and I said no. I went and siphoned all the gas out then ran it dry and filled it back up with 5 gal of 91 with some injector cleaner in it and also changed the plugs. Then went and filled up again and drove 35 miles back to my house. It runs ok until 55 mph and then it starts missing badly. At 80 the check engine light flashes at me. Today I started it and noticed its no longer spitting crappy oil smoke out of my exhaust, but instead its spitting lots of raw gas. I pulled the plugs and injectors and I see my #1 injector is spraying continuously. I thought maybe it was stuck open so I switched it with another and it does it also. So Ive narrowed it down that at least the injectors are ok. But then I checked the injection electrics and it runs at a constant 7-12 Volts, whereas the other 5 run at ~.5 Volts. I have no idea why. I checked the Oxygen sensor and its functioning properly. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe a bad ECM from the computer continuously trying to adjust for the diesel???? Its oddly coincidental that I got diesel in the engine and now the engine is shooting constant gas in the first cylinder???? Im stumped! Thanks!

posted by  kerv22

[QUOTE=cmeseadoin]First of all I would like to advise Mr./Mrs. Swampoakforest of a few things considered to be popular and CONSIDERATE policy in a chat forum. When you post some questions or concerns looking for help, it is nice to come back and thank whoever it is that took the time to help you. By you not doing this Swamp, you will cut yourself short of any help I might be able to throw at you in another situation down the road. Contrary to what you might think, I can promise you I am a real person with two arms and two legs on the other end of this forum board; Fantasy characters in cyberspace that know lots about cars and voluntary give up there time to assist YOU for NOT even a "thank you" are not the case dude/dudette, so get a clue.

I WORKED for JEEP (Daimler Chrysler) from 1998-2000 before getting involved in the Information Technology arena and probably know more about that truck of yours than anyone else you are aquainted with. Anyways, point taken I should hope. You've not even acknowledged this posting since you wrote it on 6/27. I thought "any help would be much appreciated????" I guess stupid IS as stupid does!! At least through this "waist of time" I seemed to enbark upon, maybe I can help VNILES out.

Get over it! :screwy:

posted by  joemamma

wow, i just wasted 30 seconds of my life reading your post and i want it back, welcome to the automotive industry buddy, there are very few appreciative people but it's the few we actually stay in the trade for, maybe you should wipe the tears away and go grow some balls, oh and BTW it was posted a goddamn year ago, as your signature says get over it.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Thats funny. The paragraph there where the guy was bitching was a quote from cmeseadoin earlier in the year.

I was the one who said get over it at the bottom, in hopes that he would read it and get pissed off about it. I know it was a year ago, but the fact that the moron was whining about someone not saying thanks, just pissed me off.

Get over it is not a signature it was my reply to him.

posted by  joemamma

Hi l need to find the engine number on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 CRD

Pardon   10 Dec 2012 09:49

Your Message