Headliner advice

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Headliner advice

Ok, I need some advice here from whoever has any available. The fabric covering the ceiling in my car (which I presume is called a headliner) has come down to the extent that I have to wear a hat to keep it from catching on my hair. It's hanging down about 2 inches and it's really pissing me off. I've already tried gluing it back up with a spray glue which specifically stated on the can "not recommended for automotive headliners", and, as could be expected, the next morning it was no longer glued up. I figured, what have I got to lose?

Anyway, I need some advice from someone. It's attached at all four corners and along the edges, it's just like a giant bubble over the driver's head. Does anyone have any suggestions?

posted by  KNTRDR

Yes this is by far a commom problem I suggest you read this (http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_interior/article/0,2021,DIY_13689_2271329,00. html) thoroughly. I have performed such a thing on my mothers old Lumina Van, its quite simple and fairly cheap. Sometimes you don't even have to replace the fabric, but it helps if you use a good spray adhesive or fabric glue..

posted by  DSMer

Hi I have had some of that same problems with headliners,found a eazy way to fix,went to the hardware store and got some 1" x1/4 x6ft wood strips measured across the headliner and cut the strip aproxamently 2" longer,so when I pushed it up on the headliner it would bow and stay up and also hold up headliner.works good and don't look bad at all, Have fun Slimone

posted by  Slimone

Yeah or he could just buy a bunch of thumbtacks and put hundreds upon hundreds of them up :banghead:

posted by  DSMer

Slimone, I bet you drive a pickem'up truck too ain'tcha? Got dem wooden headlina' holdem-uppers in there, cuz it work good and don't look bad neither ain't it? Gettcha a old board from na' barn'n rip a piece off thar with a saw n' cut it to length, ain't nuttin wrong wi' a redneck suggestshun like 'nat. :clap: :clap: :orglaugh: :orglaugh: :orglaugh:

posted by  cmeseadoin

I would give you some advice, but you'd probably go and do the oppisite of whatever I say seeing you don't follow directions well.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Rotfl, damn... thats mean cmeseadoin. Not even he could mess up the directions I gave him. Its a DIY fix it show. Following simple directions he CAN'T mess up.

posted by  DSMer

What??? Knocking the Poor Boy Redneck ideas? Purebred redneck chick here and hey...if it works...hehe. :hi:

BTW...I have a friend who did have hers stapled up. Hundred staples but it didn't hang in your hair.

posted by  JamieC

YEP,do drive a pickm up ,just a old Chevy,with 500hp under hood .so I can haul wood from the barn as fast as I want,LOL have a great day Slimone PS its not yellow LOL

posted by  Slimone

HAHAHA, 500hp huh? Come on now, that should get a chord of wood moving at sonic speed rather quickly. You might just find that you lost a few sticks by the time you got home and they'd be inplanted in the guy's windshield behind ya, :orglaugh: :orglaugh: There is nothing wrong with a good ole redneck fix unless you want it to look good :laughing: ......I read that and just had to have some fun with it! :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

The reason I ignored the warning on the can was because at the time, I was desperate for a solution because the headliner was hanging so far down it was covering the top of my head. I knew that the glue would probably not work well, but at the time, as I stated in the post that started this thread, I figured, What have I got to lose? The car is old and is not worth a great deal of effort or money, despite how much I put into it. So rather than go hunting for a specialty glue of any description, I decided to see if what I had would suffice. Evidently, it did not.

I posted this thread in the hopes that someone would be able to recommend a different glue to use, or a different method of suspending the fabric. I did not post this thread so that you or anyone else could nitpick any and every mistake I made. If you can't see your way to helping me instead of mocking me for an honest mistake, then I would much rather you not respond to me at all.

As for the responses I received that offered advice and information, thank you for responding. I have not attempted to correct the problem thus far, so any further suggestions are still welcome.

posted by  KNTRDR

this is the kind of people that put Camaro carbs into lawnmowers and supercharge them and just add bar stools to sit on. as for powering the wheels..... hell, just run a chain from the little fan to the back wheels... or since its gonna be so holy shit fast (the fan), just move it to the back and u got urself a self propelling lawmower stool. and who needs a steering wheel when u can haul that much ass?

posted by  Inygknok

Excuse me but I think I am lost......anyone else got a clue about what INYGKNOK might be talking about here? Last I checked I could speak the english language very well and was not exactly an idiot. Hmm, might INYGKNOK have some issues? Sounds like he/she might be have some cooped up camaro issues that they need to rid themselves of!! Bar stools???? Where does that fit the equation??? Were you sitting on one of the legs when you posted this thread INYG? :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Haha, I'm just as confused as you are cmeseadoin. He probably has a screw loose or two. I knew his brains were going sour, but damn! lawnmowers, Camaro carbs, and bar stools.... yeah he lost it. :screwy:

posted by  DSMer

enjoy :D

posted by  Inygknok

round here we proposition girls, i guess you prefer to weld!

posted by  cinqyg

Looks good to me, I'd got for a ride. Takes brains to come up with machines like that! :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message