Thirsty Plymouth Neon

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Thirsty Plymouth Neon

I have a 1999 Neon. I got it a year ago with 82,000 miles on it. I change the oil and filters regularly. I started with 29/33mpg, but now, at 105,500, I get closer to 25/28mpg... on good days. What has happened to my good milage? :ohcrap:

I actually have lots of questions about this car, but I'll start with this. Can anyone help?

posted by  wstuchten

I'm betting 02 sensor. If it is bad, you can loose up to 15% in gas milage.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Any check engine or various MIL's on the dash illuminated. If the o2 goes out on a 1999, that's OBDII and the CEL should come on due to o2 failure or heated circuit failure. Might recommend a scan of the ecu/pcm. Also, have you gained weight? That'll do it too! :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

When was the last time the car received a good maintenance tune up?

Air/fuel filters, plugs, wires (if applicable), checking EGR systems, Scanning the OBDII computer system, listening for vacume leaks, etc.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I agree -- basic tune up will likely go a long way to improve mileage. Plugs, wires, air filter, pcv valve - it's cheap and quick on this car. Also - check your tires -- low tire pressure can increase your fuel expenditure exponentially. Simple and true. :wink2:

posted by  ridesbuttons

Your Message