Jeep alarm problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Jeep alarm problems

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is well. I am very auto illiterate :banghead:. I recently began to have problems with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It is a 1996 Grand Cherokee. It is 6 cylinders. About a week ago it rained really hard and my alarm seemed to go off for no particular reason. I could not disarm it right away. It did eventually disarm but never reset. The next morning not only did I notice that the alarm was not working but the liftgate light is on to say that the liftgate is open. The liftgate is not open but the light will not turn off. When I begin to drive I am alerted to this problem but as I said the liftgate is not open. :ohcrap: I am going to take the car to the auto mechanic this weekend but happened across this site. I am thinking that maybe I can get some ideas from someone that might save me a trip to the mechanic. :clap: All help is greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know if there is a auto mechanic book for dummies that will help me become a little more car literate. Have a great night.

posted by  vniles100

Just a little update. I went to the mechanic today and was told that my alarm needs to be reset but he will not be able to do it until tomorrow if the jeep dealership is open. (I don't take the car to be serviced at jeep because they charge way to much money). I do take my car to a AAA mechanic so that I can get a good warranty. Anyway he said tomorrow he will be able to tell if all it needs is to be reset and if that is all it needs he will not charge me (Thank God) so for right now I am hoping that it just needs to be reset. I will update again when I find out tomorrow. Good night all.

posted by  vniles100

Okay guys here is my situation. As you may have read above the car alarm stopped working. I took it to the mechanic and because of security reasons Jeep would not give them the info needed to reset. Since I have not had a chance to take the car to jeep, I continued to have the problem. Okay here comes the weird part. Today as I locked the door the light for the alarm came on again. With this the liftgate open light also turned off. I am wondering if the problem could have been the rain. The alarm was not working for about 3 weeks and as I mentioned the problem occurred after a big rain storm. Could there have been something wet that has since dried out? Is there something that I should check for to make sure that it won't happen again. Any response would be appreciated.

posted by  vniles100

Your Message