Maintenance question about 96 Jeep

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Maintenance question about 96 Jeep

For those of you who read my intro I am sorry to repeat myself but it may be necessary for those who have not read my intro. I am 33 years old and have never owned a car and know absolutely nothing about them. I am a school teacher with the summer off and would like to take this opportunity to learn more about cars at least about my jeep. I recently bought a 1996 Grand Cherokee 4 cylinder. In March when I went to change the oil, the guy told me that the car seems not to have had an oil change in a very long time. The engine was dirty and so on and so forth. Anyway we did an engine clean and replaced the oil. Recently I had another oil change done along with a fuel injection and something with the transmission. I now know that these things should be done according to a schedule. I would like to know what else should I do to maintain the jeep. I would like to know what a tune up is (sorry for being so ignorant) and how often should one of those be done. My jeep did not come with an owner's manual but I did buy one. I have been reading it along with other things but I would like to spend less time reading about the car and more time driving it but I would also like to have for a few years more and I totally understand cars need to be maintained. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long story.

posted by  vniles100

First of all, you should not have a 4 cylinder in that truck, you have a 4.0 liter inline 6 Cylinder. That is the smallest engine that went in those vehicles except for MAYBE abroad. If you know nothing about cars and maintanence, I might suggest you just follow the schedule of what should be done that is more than likely in your owner's manual and if not, see your nearest dealer for a spec. sheet. This is a topic anyone could tell you about 1000 different things. It all depends on the condition of the vehicle, and mileage and what has already been done. Bring yourself up to speed as a vehicle owner and then follow the recommended maint. schedule from the manufacturer.

posted by  cmeseadoin

thanks cmeseadoin. You know more about my truck than me but I will learn. The problem is I don't know if the previous owners kept up with the maintenance and wonder if I should do a whole new overhaul. The jeep had 105k miles on it. We recently had the catalytic converter replaced, the master cylinder on the brakes was also replaced lately. This past weekend we changed the oil again, transmission fluid replaced (I think) and a fuel injector. Anyway the engine runs very smoothly. Oh yeah we just got a new battery for the car and had the alternator fixed which checked out fine. We have had the car taken to the jeep dealer and had them check the car which caused us to change the catalytic converter. Anyway just wanted to know if I should get a whole new overhaul since I don't know how well the previous owners maintained the car. Once again thanks. I just wanted you to know that I have read many of the threads on this forum and I you seem to be very helpful to many. Just an after thought, as you may have previously read, I plan to bring myself up to speed as a vehicle owner and I am glad that there is a site like this and people like you who are willing to help me. :hi:

posted by  vniles100

cmeseadoin,
I know you have told me that you rather not read after finishing college and I also know that you have worked for the jeep company before. what I was wondering is if you have ever heard of a book called the Jeep Owner's Bible. If so do you think it would be helpful to me or would it be a waste of time and money? I am sorry to bother you with such petty questions but I want to learn alot in a short time because once school starts back up, my time is very limited. Thanks
vniles100 :wink2:

posted by  vniles100

Your Message