Help With Accord!!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Help With Accord!!

Hi I have an 88 Honda Accord LX-i (A20A, 2.0L) with a 5 speed manual transaxle. Im having a problem with the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. All shifts are smooth except this one is rough and nothcy. Any help would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen: !

posted by  allroundcarguy2

Started having the same problem in my 5 series...am getting the syncros replaced in the transmission.

posted by  BavarianWheels

I came to these forums to seek a problem with my prelude, and i was gonna post it here. But it seems like we're having the same exact problem

1993 honda prelude Si
5 spd
h23a1 dohc

Alll gears shift smooth, but from second to third it grinds. It only happens if i shift at high RPMS (Like around 4000 or higher) and if i shift into 3rd gear quick (or actually normal speed). It won't grind i if i shift nice and slow, and if i shift at low RPM's. But when it grinds it sounds horrible. Luckily it's only been doing this for about 4 days so hopefull nothing major has been damaged.

posted by  XboxFPSKing

Unless you have money to fix right away, you can try double-clutching into second as I did in my car...worked out fine.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Unfortunately I don't know how to double clutch yet. And i'm quite reluctant to try it, seeing as how the consequnces could be worse then just a screwed up gear. I'm always up for learning though, just if my car was in better shape.

posted by  XboxFPSKing

yea...now my left foot has to work harder to get from 2nd to 3rd faster :screwy:

Scenario: you're driving down the road with clutch out, car in gear and you're on the gas.....and it's time to shift: let off the gas and at the same time depress the clutch, move the gear shift to neutral.....let the clutch out while in neutral. Now depress the clutch and move gear shift lever into the next gear(third)...let the clutch out and get back on the gas. [During this process at various shifting points, you may need to gun the engine(similar to downshifting) to match the tranmission input shaft speed to the clutch and pressure plate speed for a smooth no-slip shift if you have done the process too slowly and the engine has returned to idle speed or close to it.]

This is actually a fun technique to driving a manual transmission. I do it all the time with all the manuals I have. I also do a downshift that is similar to the upshift double-the-clutching. In my 02' Trans Am Ram Air I do normal upshifting but I downshift in this manner a lot due to less brake usage and more performance driving technique. Always rev the engine on downshifting and get your engine and transmission speed sync'd so that you don't prematurly wear the clutch. This is done with reving the engine a certain amount while the clutch is depressed and you are moving the shifter from one higher gear to a lower one before letting the clutch back out. This is particularly fun with a 6 speed manual and a 350 horse V-8 under the hood and with tuned performance exhaust. :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Oh I forgot to tell you the reason that BAV suggested this technique.......It's not to make your left foot work harder....it just better helps the transmission synchro's better align themselves so that the gear change might be smoother. You are allowing the trans synchro's two times to get themselves aligned vs. one time (depressions of the clutch). You probably have a transmission where the synchromesh is going out and this might extend the life a little longer. Flip side is your foot works more. You decide, rebuild tranny or work your foot harder. :doh:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Jesus... thanks for the Huge reply. Makes me wanna go out and try it now. I think i need to learn to double clutch pretty quick, unless i wanna screw up something really bad. Again thanks for th detailed response.

posted by  XboxFPSKing

True, so very true. It also helps with straight cut 'boxes to prevent gear clash, i think
:laughing:

yes it does to a certain level.....that's why I suggested it based on the original problem description of clashing between 2-3 upshift. :hi:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message