One dead Cylinder - 99 Buick Regal

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  One dead Cylinder - 99 Buick Regal

The 4th cylinder has no compression. What repair costs am looking at to have this fixed ??? It could be a piston or valve replacement but what is the ballpark for ripping the car apart to find out what the problem is?? The car has 130,000 miles and has run great until now. Thank for the help!

posted by  linda lou

you should do it yourself in case something happens like that again.but i think that it should cost about 800 if you paid someone.it all depends where you live and who you take it to.but just to make it easier and cheaper you should rip it apart and see what is wrong it should't be that hard.and have a friend or someone that you know that is really good with cars take a look at it.maybe the spark plug is just fouled.

posted by  lemans69

Gee, a fouled sparkplug causing no compression. I'll have to remember that when I go to work tomorrow. Genius!

It's hard to make a call on what it will cost. It could be as simple as a burnt valve. I've seen 3.8's with the plastic intake cracked and leaking (common) and enough water get into the cylinder to put a hole in the piston and bend the rod (not so common). Bottom line is you need a competent technician to dive in and make the call. Good luck!

Oh yeah. Unless you intend to do the whole job yourself, don't "rip it apart and see what's wrong". Most shops shy away from jobs like that because alot of diagnosis comes from what you see as it comes apart.

posted by  vwhobo

That is a scary thought! I am hanging by a thread just trying to explain this clearly! I don't believe it is the spark plugs because he replaced them all during the ture up. I quess, I will have to have them rip the entire engine apart. The repairman stated I can still drive it but it feels like I will damage it more. The car is knocking and has very little power. Can I ruin the engine if I drive it more than 10 -15 miles to the next repair shop? Thanks for the help!

posted by  linda lou

Simply put if you have a cylinder with no compression and it is knocking DO NOT DRIVE OR START THE CAR. You can very possibly turn a simple top end job into a complete rebuild. If you don't believe that, come on over to my shop and I'll be happy to show the 3.8 I pulled last week with the same basic symptoms. The block is well ventilated by the rod that went through the block.

posted by  vwhobo

Thank you for the advice! I will call the tow man when I have saved up a small fortune to it fixed! I know what a thrown rod does... Had one happen to my moms old buick century in college. (needless to say, I didn't know any better and kept driving until it blew up! :) Had to take it to the junk yard! This is the 3rd buick I have owned and has been a great car. I really want to keep it as long as possible.

posted by  linda lou

Glad I could help. That'll be $75. 8) :D :twisted:

posted by  vwhobo

, annd they you will hand the moneey over to me because im just so cool 8) lol

posted by  bLen

Cool no, jackass yes!

P.S. Learn to spell.

posted by  vwhobo

dood do you have a problem or something

posted by  bLen

No, I don't, you do. Your village is calling, they miss their idiot.

posted by  vwhobo

nah theyre not missing him..im pretty much at home

posted by  bLen

LMAO, don't clog a page about something important like repairs with usless crap like give me the money, please.

posted by  JU5TIN

Justin, you are absolutely correct, I apologize for stooping to that level. My only defense is that I did accurately answer the original question. Mea culpa maxima. :oops:

posted by  vwhobo

Ye, you helped they guy out, just wondering, are u a mechanic or something like that?

posted by  JU5TIN

Something like that. ASE certified Master Tech, VW factory trained, 30+ years experience. Fortunately I get well paid working on cars so I can spend it on my stuff. Too bad it's so easy to spend more than I make. 8)

posted by  vwhobo

LOL ye, but thats cool that you get paid while workin on cars, wish I had a job like that.

posted by  JU5TIN

All you gotta do is do it. If you want to get started in the right direction I'll be happy to tell you how.

posted by  vwhobo

I would be interested but since I'm still doing some school this might not be the best time, but if I ever have the time I'll be sure to take you up on your offer.

posted by  JU5TIN

Justin, have you ever been in yahoo chat?

posted by  vwhobo

Nope.

posted by  JU5TIN

Cool, I thought maybe that would be a safe place to talk. Whenever you want the info let me know.

posted by  vwhobo

Alright man, I'll do that.

posted by  JU5TIN

dont clog up the boards with yahoo shit, and tell me i can say stuff lol

posted by  bLen

Your Message