Please help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Please help

Hello,
I have a 74' El Camino with a rebuilt 350 2-BBL engine. I live in arizona and it tends to overheat in the afternoon, and on occasion in the morning or evening, when it is running at an idle such as at a parking lot or red light. It doesn't overheat when i'm driving, but on hotter days, it doesn't cool down after an idle while driving. I've replaced the Thermostat (twice, first one was faulty) and housing, Water pump, EGR valve, points, and the fan (no clutch to a thermal clutch). I've also flushed the radiator, set the timing, set the points, and tuned it up. It only looses about 1/4" of coolant/water a week if that, so i don't think it is a head gasket, but anything could happen.

I have thought about replacing the fan and clutch with a flex fan, preferably a 7-blade, but someone at lopers, a performance parts warehouse, said it would drain the engine's power and cause it to overheat even more. Does that seem right?

Thanks
matt

posted by  hamiton40

Matt. I also live in Az and have a 72 elcamino with a 3 row rad and run a 180 thermostat ,and have a 7 blade fan on it ,the hottest it gets is 200,by the way did not kill any power on mine (still hauls butt). would say find a good 3row or 4 row rad for it ,and run a 180 thermostat good luck Slim :screwy: :screwy:

posted by  Slimone

If you really want to save money on an aftermarket radiator, you could probably go with a 160 degree thermostat and a decent flex fan and you'd be fine.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Hi .a 160 works fine back east but out here in Az where the temps get over 100 a lot a 160 lets the coolant move threw the rad to fast to cool .have been here for 30 years and have tried them all ,180 works best here . also a good HD fan clutch (are not cheap)..we have a mountian comeing up out of Bullhead City az thats is 11 miles long and a 6%grade that is the only place my elcamino gets to 205 ,check after market for a good 3 or 4 row rad and find a good Hd clutch. good luck Slim :screwy:

posted by  Slimone

Your Message