Electrical problem - cigarette lighter

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Electrical problem - cigarette lighter

I have a 96 Ford Thunderbird 4.2L Automatic. Not sure that any of that is relevant, but the rules say to put that in the post. I'm new here, so hi everyone.

My cigarette lighter has not been working in the car for a while now, and I finally got industrious enough to try to figure out what was wrong today. After taking everything apart, it turns out that it just needed to be cleaned. I removed the lighter and receptacle and cleaned them both with Brasso. When I put it back in, it worked, but I could hear some boiling noises. Some of the Brasso had leaked into crevices and was still in there. Now comes my mistake. I covered a screwdriver with a cloth to try and clean it up, but the screwdriver broke through and shorted it. The fuse popped. When I replaced the fuse it still didn't work.

I double checked the fuse, and the new one is good. I used a volt meter to check the voltage at the fuse block, and it's dead. Just to make sure I was able to check the voltage, I checked one of the other fuse holders at the block, and it read out fine. I didn't pull every other fuse to see if there's voltage at the block for all of them, but all the other elecrical equipment seems to be working, so I think it's just the one fuse holder that's dead.

Anyone have ideas about what's wrong, or where I should check next?

Thanks,

Brian

posted by  domingo3

The surge traveled through the fuse and blew somewhere else along the wiring. It could have melted a wire, it could have melted another fuse.

However, I recomend skipping figuring it out. What you need to do is go to the auto parts store and get a new cigarette lighter. Wire it to another fuse that is the same amps. There youre done. Defrost maybe? Lights are better they skip the ignition.

If you are really cheap, use the one you have howeverI dont recomend it. The cigarette lighter replacement should take you about 5 mins tape the new wiring outside to the dash area. It could take longer if you want to route it inside your dash area into the fuse box.

posted by  stamar

Thanks for the advice. The cigarette lighter works now - that is if it had power. Are there other fuses upstream of the fuse block? Any idea where I'd look for them? It seems so strange to me that that's the only one that's affected. Whatever the problem is, it's definitely upstream of the fuse block. I'd really like to fix it right.

Thanks,

Brian

posted by  domingo3

Yes there is usually another fuse box or gathering of fuseable links under the hood. Um usually located on the right side near the right firewall but totally car dependent.

Fuseable links are merely weaker wires that blow lol. Newer cars use larger fuses.

Um, upstream of the fusebox it could be anywhere in the wire. Ur trying to find out where? Well first I will repeat dont. Rewire everything you want this is as you said a cigarette wire, not worth testing in time and labor. Use logic with your work....

What you would do is just get a volt meter and start testing the wire and follow it whereever it goes. Where ever its bad, you replace it or splice it : cut that length out.

Theres some sort of miscommunication here, because I said use ANOTHER FUSE. Wire the new cigarette lighter to somewhere else on the fuse box somewhere where there is power !FORGET ABOUT THE BLOWN CIRCUIT THATS RETARDED!. Wire it straight to the battery then if thats too complicated( as a matter of fact, I recomend this, permanently eliminating your fuse problem. Cigarette lighter is a prime target for no fuse). Its a cigarette lighter. 5 mins total of time. If it takes more than 5 mins of ur time, go buy some bic lighters and forget about it.

posted by  stamar

I don't want to go down the path towards having my car put together with bubble gum and duct tape. I don't smoke, but I want the cigarette lighter to use for power. I traced it out and found the problem. Thanks for the help and advice.

Brian

posted by  domingo3

Your Message