2002 Brake or accelerater issue

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2002 Brake or accelerater issue

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I am traveling down the road and want to come to a stop I have had cases were the brakes don't engage or the accelerater over rides the transmission. When I get it stopped it will sometimes lunge forward while in park. When I take it to the shop the tell me nothing is wrong. Has anyone heard of this issue?

posted by  kar50219

The "lunge" you describe when put in park sounds normal...if you aren't on perfectly level ground the truck will roll slightly until the parking pin engages, giving you that lunging feeling. as far as the other concern....have you tried driving with one foot? :doh:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Sounds like you might wanna have that checked out. Judging from the way 99.9% of morons, excuse me, society drives around here, I'd be inclined to think it's a problem between the seat and the steering wheel as far as the transmission overriding the brakes. But in the case that it is not, who are you taking this thing to? Try the dealer, they are familiar with TSB's, service recalls etc. I worked for Jeep and am aware of nothing recently pertaining to that problem description. Not sure I can do much on here. If it is a real lunge and not the parking roll till the lock pin catches, then you might have a linkage issue to do with the trans or engine. Is the throttle linkage sticking, hence the issue with braking. If it's giving itself gas, and you are braking, yeah you're gonna feel resistance and also smoke the brakes.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message