96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hesitates

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hesitates

I have a 96 Jeep that hesitates when I accelerate. It will sputter and act like it wants to quit running. The Check engine light has been on and I have taken it to the dealer who kept telling me that they couldn't find anything wrong. I am planning to take it back again, but would like some clue as to what to tell them to look for. Any suggestions? Thanks :banghead:

posted by  keegaaguilar

Does it jolt when accelerating? If so, it might have a transmission problem.

posted by  abless

I'm with above, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep automatic trannies suck (had ours replaced in our T/C with only about 60k on the odo). That's probably the source of the problem.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I was thinking specifically of clutch slippage.

posted by  abless

I had to replace my tranny at 78000 on my Grand Cherokee :banghead:

posted by  Voda48

The Mopar auto tranny problem STRIKES AGAIN! :soul:

posted by  thunderbird1100

It will jolt some , when I accelerate it will sputter and jolt a little , does this have anything to do with the Check engine light? After the sputtering , I gently give it gas and it will quit. It just acts like it is going to quit running for a little while and it may do it once or it may do it several times during the day. Once on the hiway I don't have too much trouble.
THanks

posted by  keegaaguilar

My grand chreokee laredo 96 has the same problems. If you put it into neutral when it is happening it continues, which makes me think it is not the transmission. Catalytic convert is not problem, nor is the fuel filter, or pump. But, I have not been able to solve the problem. Any help you can give would be appreciated, if you were able to solve your problem, it might melp me. Thanks: amerricka :hi:

posted by  amerricka

Hmm... odd that the dealership could not find anything, did you have them check out a specific problem? Persay did you say "I think it might be the transmission" or something like that? If so they may have only checked that one thing and thusly overlooked the actual problem entirely, so a good idea is to bring it in and get a full inspection done, usually costing around 60 dollars, at least around me it is near there. I feel it is better to just know all your problems and go from there. However perhaps the problem could be a firing problem as well..... I know my Firebird jolted a fair share and shook but mainly in O/D. Just my guesses, although I'd say from the sounds of it also a tranny issue could be very probable. Good luck getting her figured out, and I hope we can help, keep us informed.

posted by  Flame Roller

Your Message