Acceleration Jolt

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Acceleration Jolt

Hey. Somethins been bothin me for a while now.

I'm drivin a 96 Mitsubishi Lancer coupe. When ever I'm accelerating, or simply keepin constant speed. If I lift my foot off the accelortor fast, not even that fast actually, the car sorta brakes. Ya get jolted forward, but the car continues to move at normal speed. Its like it has NO roll-on.

Anyone had this b4? Or is it just my car?

posted by  Cataclysm

this should be in the repairs section.... but ok. anyhow, is it manual or automatic? if its manual, then it has happened to me. im not sure if its normal in normal cars to do that little jolt when letting go of the gas pedal.... though mine would shake hard, and its mainly cuz of a worn out clutch.

posted by  Inygknok

I have a manual 2003 RSX type s and this happens to me too. I don't think it's clutch wearing because my car is only a year old. Here's my guess. An automatic transmission is connected to the engine through a torque convertor. This unit provides about 5% slippage between the engine and the transmission. This is why even at a dead stop with an automatic the engine doesn't die. A manual transmission uses a clutch to form a solid attachment between the engine and transmission. This maybe why once you have ur foot off the gas, the car may jolt with the sudden loss of momentum; only in manual. This is pure guess work. :screwy:

posted by  zipper

Yeah - its a manual.

The cars just had a service, so I'd say its not the clutch either (but, thats placin a fair bit of confidence in my mechanic).

Your idea sounds logical Zipper - But, if its true. Wouldn't this happen in all manual cars?

posted by  Cataclysm

sounds a little like just a touch of play in the diff to me. rather than the engine dictating the wheels, when you lift off, the wheels dictate the engine all through the drive train. In the change over you feel the shunt.

This is where you come in and clear everything up chrisv? :oops:

posted by  Unlicensed

him or John.... wherever he is....

posted by  Inygknok

I think it also has to do with what gear ur in and how easily the engine revs. I think that the hypothesis about 2 posts up is right about the wheels driving the engine. This happens to me ALOT and very roughly as well. Whenever im in a low gear like 1st or 2nd and i let off the gas even when its almost completely off already the car shudders.

posted by  VMJYogi

that only used to happen to me when i used to have my old rough driving style. i have smoothed out alot and i barely make it jolt, except when im lazy or really tired. i just let go of things nice and smoothly and the car responds just fine.

posted by  Inygknok

exactly

posted by  VMJYogi

My two geusses would be that its something as simple as needing to change your tranny fluid to clutch slip, well, at least whenever you shift. My grandma's car does the same thing, but its and auto, and all she had to do was change the tranny fluid.

posted by  s13_Drifter

I also found that using lower grade gas also makes it worse. If ur suppose to use premium, use premium. Probably from the premature combustion from pressure.

posted by  zipper

thats a completely different story though, n i think everyone is smart enough to always use high octane from the pumps.....

posted by  Inygknok

How do u know if the fluids need changin then? I mean, I dont know too much about any of the Trans Fluid, or the Power steerin fluid etc. The extent of my upkeep abilities is keepin the windscreen jets full :drool:

posted by  Cataclysm

Your Message