Possible Alternator Problem?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Possible Alternator Problem?

I have a 95 Grand Am 4 door and went on my lunch break today... It started and got to lunch ok, about half an hour later as I got back into my car I started it...

As I was backing down the driveway, I noticed that my Emergency Brake lights and ABS lights went on, although I know the Brake wasn't on.... As I started to pull forward I could see my speedometer jumping up and down (hearing a click click) from 10 - 30 mphs.. It sounded like the power locks weren't working properly either and my car audio wasn't playing... As I made a turn to get ready to pull over I noticed that I no longer was able to speed up (engine must have died) and was just riding on acceleration...

After I let it sit for a few minutes, I got help with a jumpstart.... We weren't able to get the engine started again and as we were about to give up and push the car more towards the side I decided to try a final time and it ended up starting just fine...

Any suggestions on what I can do to check it out myself before I take to shop, perhaps faulty wiring or alternator problem?

Thanks in advance...

posted by  mncarhelp

This may be way off but I thought I would try. I had a similar problem just as I had finished working on my '97 Conour. I had the same symptoms. The problem for me was that I had not tightend down the battery terminals very well and it came loose. I would check the connection at the pattery posts and make sure that they're not too corroded. If they are clean them up with some baking soda and water. the baking soda causes a chemichal reaction with the corrosion and makes it very easy to clean. I also had a problem with an alternator that went bad on me while driving and the symptoms arent the same. When the alternator died eveything seemed to shut down slowly. When the battery got disconnected it was very sporadic.

posted by  wizzyb82

Your Message