Noisy Steering

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Noisy Steering

Ever since I bought my 1993 Grand Am 2.3L four about a year ago, it has made terrible squeaking and squealing when holding the wheel at or near lock on either side. Until now it has only done this around lock,b ut recently, it has started while moving slowly and turning such as when coming out of a parking spot. My questions to you guys are: 1. What is causing this squeaking? 2. Is it a cause for action? As always, your input is greatly appreciated and if any more info is required, I would be happy to oblige. Thanks! :smoke:

posted by  93GrandAm

Hey i was actually gonna post a question like this, your replies will probably answer.solve my problem. Anyways i have a 1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera with a 3.8L. All power steerings have a slight humm when turned to lock on either side. But a loud squealing, sqeaking sound thats constant. It was fine, i replaced the belts yesterday and now it makes a sqeauling sound when near or at lock on either side. Wats causing it, does the belt need time to get streached a bit or something? the tension is good. Thanks

posted by  speedy266

Well first off, some noise is expected if you strain the steering at a lock point. Not squeeling, and not loud sounds, but a whine can be heard with many vehicles. If it is excessive, the first thing that tells you is to check the PS fluid. Have YOU done this as you have not indicated a yes or no in your posting? If so, what did you find? The causes can be multifaceted. usually it centers around a few main things. Power steering pump is bad/going bad, low fluid, loose belt, etc. In my 1996 Grand Am, the power steering pump is camshaft driven. It's the quad 2.4L twin cam. In your '93 you have a 2.3L? Is the power steering pump in that run off a belt or the camshaft like mine? You could have restriction in one of the high pressure lines to the rack, the rack could be going bad.....any number of things really. This is where having knowledge to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem comes is. Without the car in front of me, I really can do no more. If you can check some of these things, then do so, if not, I'd recommend if you think there is a problem, have a shop check it out.

posted by  cmeseadoin

A similar problem occurred in my '86 Chevy Celebrity. Upon closer inspection the power steering reservoir was empty. Correcting the level caused immediate silencing of the noise.

posted by  KNTRDR

Thanks for the input guys, I'll get back to you with the fluid levels and such tomorrow afternoon.

posted by  93GrandAm

Where is that follow-up you promised yesterday afternoon? We like follow up in here, I want to know what the problem was. :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

lol, Need follow up!

posted by  Mustang90210

Sorry guys... I've just been unexpectedly busy the last couple days. I would go check right now but it's pouring rain outside. :ohcrap: I'm so sorry to keep you guys hanging like this. I'll get on it ASAP.

posted by  93GrandAm

OK guys, the results are in and the reservoir is full. But, isn't power steering fluid supposed to be red? When I wiped the fluid off the dipstick, the color was more a tan brown color. Ok, now with that said, what would change the color?

posted by  93GrandAm

The car is 11 years old. The fluid gets heated up, cooled off, pumped, put under extreme pressure. Over time it changes color as it gets burned/dirty. The fluid in my car is the same.

And generally new power steering fluid is more clear, than anything else. Transmission fluid is red. Some Fords take Type-F power steering fluid, which was originally an auto trans fluid for band-type Ford transmissions in the 70's. But your Grand Am just takes generic power steering fluid.

My mother's Lumina van has a similar problem where it sounds like the pump is straining at lock when steering in either direction. According to the mechanics that have examined the problem, it is blockage in the hydraulic lines. Of course I've never been completely satisfied with their competence at that place. But this could be the problem.

posted by  KNTRDR

Your Message