Parking/Brake light on Prizm

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Parking/Brake light on Prizm

93' Geo Prizm, And left brake light, and left parking light are out. I have the bulbs to replace them, but can't get the casing off. I followed the instructions in the book, but there's a weird little black clip looking thing on the brake light casing that I can not get undone, and it's holding it on. As for the parking light, the book said to undo one screw, and it would come off, yeah, that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

posted by  Diomedes

This is one of those things whereby if no one in here has a 93' Geo Prizm in front of them with a brake light assy to look at, it is basically impossible to help you. Auto manufacturers use a wide variety of retainers, clips and other fastening devises and therefore, my best suggestion if I were in your shoes would be to look at it long enough and use my mechanical intuition to try and see how it comes apart. Sometimes that is the only way you can do things. I take it you cannot remove the tail light assy from the car so that you can get to the bulb retainers. With this type of thing, I am not sure how I can assist when all I know is that there is a "weird little black clip looking thing on the brake light casing, LOL. What I will tell you is that some auto manufacturers use threaded posts that have a hand screw on the back of them on the INSIDE of the trunk. You pull the carpeting back that goes up the sides of the trunk and there are several large "wing nut like" devises there that you can unscrew then the assy pops out. If your's is not like that, the best I could do is ask for a picture of it or try to find a geo prizm to look at. I dont think I have time for the latter, but on second though, I believe one of my co-workers has a 94' Geo Prizm,,,,,,let me run ask her.....

Ok I am back, she has a 1994 Geo Prizm. It is the same car as the Toyota Corolla and she told me she has replaced one of those lights before, and to the best of her recollection, you do not remove the casing on the '94 to do it but she had it done by someone else and said it was NOT easy on hers, she did remember that, LOL. She also said she thought they made some changes between the '93 and '94 so we might be comparing apples to oranges here. I know on my 1996 Grand Am you have to remove the casing or else you cannot access the bulbs and the casing just unscrews from the trunk side with four large hand nuts. Good luck. Look at it long enough and you'll figure it out. Also, anyone with a 93 Toyota Corrolla might be able to help you. :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Thanks for the ideas. I have the bulbs and stuff but, I'm just gonna wait and let the mechanic do it. Car goes in the 27th to get an oil change and a/c recharge, and a general check-up, and he'll just do it.

posted by  Diomedes

After all that work to help you you're going to let the mechanic do it??? Hell, I wasted my time typing all that crap for you just to let the mechanic do it. All for a brake light :banghead: Good luck.

posted by  cmeseadoin

I went back out and check it out after. I have a friend who drives a 93' corolla and hers was different. I'd rather just have him do it, before it breaks and costs me more money then it should.

posted by  Diomedes

I understand the point, I am just trying to figure out what the importance of getting help on it was when you knew you were going to just let a mechanic do it to begin with. That being the case, you don't care what the solution is, you're not going to do the work. Mainly, I am just busting your nuts, but I did spend my time writting that all up and seeking info. from an outside source all to come back and find out you will be taking it it, LOL. At any rate, good luck with it.....changing a light bulb in the rear may be a slight pain more so on some cars than on others but I can rest you assured it ain't rocket science. You should test yourself and try and do it yourself. That's just my :2cents: Good luck! :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Of course the owners manual is a good place to start. Autozone.com or Chiltons/haynes is another. Changing tail lights may involve removing 1/2 dozen fasteners but it typically is not a difficult job

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message