Transmision Problem related to CV Shaft????

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Transmision Problem related to CV Shaft????

I have never heard of this but I wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else has or has even witnessed it themselves. I had noticed that my transmision on my '91 Subaru Legacy Wagon FWD seemed to be sliping it would hold in first too long and then again in second. It wasn't really bad so I've been driving on it. Recently I noticed a tear in the pass. outer CV joint. Yesterday, I went and replaced the CV Shaft with a remanufactured one. when I started to drive again the problem was to the best of my knowledge. The car now has two new drive axles in it as I replaced the driver side in January. Does any one know if there is a connection between the driveshafts and the transmission that would cause this to happen? It is important to me to know becasue I recently aquired a '91 Accord and it seems to have the same problems and it also has had one drive shaft replaced and one is still origonal. I'm sceptical about it being a transmission issue because the car only has 37,000 original miles and has had one owner whom I know personally and he treats his cars very well. Any Ideas??

posted by  wizzyb82

The two have NOTHING to do with one another. How can a drive axle/cv joint cause the transmission to hold a gear too long before performing an upshift? I can't see any connection. You either have a transmission problem, fluid level problem, valve body issue, solenoid sticking, or some other trans issue. Perhaps the software in the pcm that talks to the tcm is corrupt or there is an error. ( that is, if 1991 was electronically controlled as I believe it was) Have the computer scanned and determine any dtcs. No drive axle is going to cause the symptomology that you described, drive axles will cause other issues such as driveline vibrations, noises, and the like. Good luck.

P.S. 37K miles and good treatment mean not a thing. When you are talking about mechanical devises, just remember ANYthing can happen to ANY car at ANY time for ANY reason. Good maintainence and care are great and mitigate all the negatives, but they do not mean that nothing will break or wear out.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Thats exact;y what I thought but I don't know that much about how the transmission works and I thought that I would just put the question out there. I still can't explain why the problem seems to have all but disappeared. I was wondering though...A freind told me that with symptoms such as I described it is likely that the transmission fluid would start turning brown or black. I changed the Fluid about two months before he told me this. Since I changed the fluid I've added about 6,000 miles. Is what my friend told me true and could I be noticing a difference now? The fluid still looks to me like it did when I first put it in, nice and redish pink.

posted by  wizzyb82

I think if you checked the color of your friend's "gray" matter in his head, you'd find that would be brown or black before your trans fluid will, LOL. I don't think I'd listen to much he/she had to say about cars anyways, because they are totally wrong. Your trans fluid can get discolored and more brownish than pink if it is getting burnt. The odor might change as well. From your first posting, I'd love to know why he thinks the fluid might turn brown to black????

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message