95 explorer radio power button not turning off, need advice.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  95 explorer radio power button not turning off, need advice.

i pulled out my stock radio in my 95 ford explorer because the power button is broken, not "turning off." whenever i push it in it just pops back out. i opened the face plate but it seems to be attached to some wiring so i cant pull of the face plate all the way. however i see the mechanism where the power button goes in and out so how can i go about fixing this problem?

if its not fixable, should i buy a new stock radio? i cant find it online. the part number is F57F--18C852--BG.

any help would be great!

thanks!

Sean

posted by  SWhockey98

Sean, most of us on here are mechanically oriented around automotive applications and not electronics. If you can pull the radio out of the truck as you seem to indicate you have, and you can tear it down yourself and see what is going on, then try that. If the problem is a plastic button or something non-electronic you can try and fix it. Otherwise you might try taking it to an electronics company and seeing if it is worth fixing.

One thing you probably will find is that in order to go to ford and get that stock unit, it will be WAY more money than going aftermarket. That is what I found anyways regarding a Jeep system that I have and tried to replace stock. Unless you can find it on ebay or some other way, good luck, you'll probably be best going aftermarket if you need to have it replaced. You could see what it will cost to fix too. Good Luck

posted by  cmeseadoin

thank you!

posted by  SWhockey98

NP..... Good luck with it. Let us know what you find out!

posted by  cmeseadoin

it turns out i found a service repair shop out in massachusetts that'll do it for $97. i guess it's better than paying $215+ at the ford dealer. :ohcrap:

posted by  SWhockey98

Yes sir, go for it. Sometimes that is what you have to do! :-)

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message