start trouble in rain

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  start trouble in rain

I recently got a '99 Lexus ES 300. It has about 100,000 miles on it. It is automatic and V6. It is fuel-injected. It has a new battery, a new PCV valve and tune-up has been done recently. The fuel-injector also has been cleaned at the dealer shop. In general, the car runs great except when there is a rain or it is very humid.

When there is a rain, I have the following problems.
1. :ticking: It cranks every time, but the engine dies out soon.
2. :clap: I can still start the car by pushing acceleration pedal to put some gas to the engine. I have to do this at the same time when I turn on the car and let the engine run idle until it gets hot. Otherwise, the car won't start. This trick has been working all the time so far.
3. :thumbs: The car runs good as long as the engine is hot and weather is good.

I have checked out previous listings and found out similar, but not the same problems. Can I assume either distributor or ignition coil is the cause of the problem in my case too? I had mechanics at the dealer shop look at the problme, but they could not figure out how to fix it since it was sunny.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,
Jack

posted by  jack

Have you tried spraying the HT leads and ignition system with WD-40?

WD-40 is a water dispersant, that comes in an aerosol can. I'm not sure if you get this brand in the States, but I'd think something similar must be available.

This would be my first suggestion, as it's extremely cheap to try!

posted by  heebee

No, I have not since I have been looking for a more permanent solution rather than a makeshift one. I would like to try WD-40 as a last resort though. Thanks.

posted by  jack

Your Message