engine troubles....PLEASE HELP!!!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  engine troubles....PLEASE HELP!!!

okay heres the deal. i am working on a stock car team and we race every weekend, and we need to get this problem fixed before next weekend. okay the motor in our car is a 350 chevy engine bored .030" over. we are running an MSD ignition box, MSD coil, and an MSD cap and rotor. after about 20-30 laps when the motor starts to get warm, when the car comes out of the corner and gets on the gas, it makes a very loud POP noise that can be heard from the other side of the track, and then the motor loses a ton of power. we have had to exit from the race early for 2 weeks in a row now and we CAN NOT find the problem. the thing is, it will not do it in the garage at home because it takes about 20 or 30 laps before it will do it. we changed the coil, the cap and the rotor and it still continues to happen. the only other thing we can think of would be the ignition box (which we havent changed yet due to the cost of a new one) or the carburator or fuel lines (vapor lock). does anybody have any advice on what the problem could possibly be? any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks.

posted by  s-10-fanatic

Hi, You might try a 70 to 73 HEI with vac advance ,an set :screwy: up timeing at about 14 to 16 degrees.have found that to work good for me . good luck Slim

posted by  Slimone

not too sure what you mean by that, is that the distributor ur talkin about trying? and do u do any racing? just wondering

posted by  s-10-fanatic

Hi, the dist. I mean is a older chevy HEI , chevy has used them for many years ,but the older ones advanced quicker ,sounds like your dist isn't advanceing quick enough when you get back into it , Yes have raced and built hot rods for years, You can also change the springs and counter weights in them to get them to advance even quicker, Have fun and good luck Slim :screwy:

posted by  Slimone

Your Message