Engine failure of 1998 Pontiac GrandAm GT

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Engine failure of 1998 Pontiac GrandAm GT

Hi, Nightdreamer here. I own a 1998 Pontiac GrandAm GT 6 cyclinder that I mainly only drive to and from work (215 miles one way from TN to NC). I'm a truck driver so I park at the yard. Coming home yesterday, I was in a bad traffic back up and my ABS light came on. I had my brakes worked on about 2 weeks ago, front all redone including rotors, backs cleaned and adjusted. Then my airbag light came on. Then the battery light came on intermittently. I pulled out of the traffic line to the shoulder and shut the car off. It would not restart. No click, no turn over, no nothing. Was able to jump start it with jumper cables and it ran fine for about 10 miles at normal speed then dash lights came back on and car just died in the middle of the road. I did turn off a/c and radio when problem first appeared. Rejumped it and went about 2 miles...same thing. Is this an alternator problem?

posted by  Ndrmr

This is the same thing that happened to my 1999 Grand Am ... the first time I ended up having the genernator rebuilt. That lasted for about 1 year. btw, GM recommends you replace, not rebuild, the generator .... the second time, a new generator didn't cut it, my mechanic determined that it was in the PCM ... which I could not afford to have replaced ....

BOL

note: i am NOT a mechanic! :)

posted by  diazepam

This is the same thing that happened to my 1999 Grand Am ... the first time I ended up having the genernator rebuilt. That lasted for about 1 year. btw, GM recommends you replace, not rebuild, the generator .... the second time, a new generator didn't cut it, my mechanic determined that it was in the PCM ... which I could not afford to have replaced ....

oh, if you have DRL, remove the headlamps and your car will drive further without the gen charging ... hahahhaha

BOL

note: i am NOT a mechanic! :)

posted by  diazepam

Just a note, that's not what you call engine failure.

Have your charging system checked out by autozone or advance auto parts if possible. I've found in experience, that when the brake light comes on, and things start acting weird it's PCM or ignition module failure. GM recommends you buy a new one instead of getting a rebuilt or rebuilding it? I'm going to bet that you can only buy a new alternator through GM if that's true. Money sucking pigs.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I don't know about now ... but this was true when this first occurred in my GA ... mid-2000. Last time I checked it was $285 for one... :(

posted by  diazepam

Your Message