96 ford taurus ticking noise???

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  96 ford taurus ticking noise???

I have a 96 ford taurus Lx 3.0L V6, everything is working fine exept that there is a ticking noise coming from the engine i think. It sounds like the valves need adjustment, but i was told they are not adjustable. Sometimes the noise goes away when i step on the gas or when i shift from drive to parking it will stop for a while but then it comes back. oil level is good. Can anyone help. THANKS

posted by  williamwillie

its a DOHC, I was checking my car and found some oil in between the two cylinder heads, it looks like a valve cover gasket is bad. Can anybody help?

posted by  williamwillie

well my car does that too, but honestly i dont think anythings wrong with it, i believe its just ur fuel injectors. i dont think its anything to worry about!

posted by  Neonlover04

thanks for the reply. But my car does that ticking noise kind of loud, is that okay?

posted by  williamwillie

hmmm, go out and buy Engine Restorer and some stuff that you put in ur fuel, and will clean ur fuel injectors. otherwize i dont know what it is. i'm not an expert.

posted by  Neonlover04

yes neonlover...clearly you are not an expert. Leaking oil is never good. If it's just the valve cover gaskets, the good news is that it will not be too expensive to have fixed...you could probably even do it yourself. Chances are, the ticking noise you hear could be coming form the cam followers and/or lifters. What kind of mileage does the car have? My advice would be, have the v/c gaskets replaced, do an oil change and add CD2 Oil Detergent with a good quality 5w-30oil, maybe even 10w-30 if it's a high mileage engine. One way to help pinpoint where the ticking noise is coming from is to use a long screwdriver....place the blade of the screwdriver on the valve covers and place your ear on the handle of the screwdriver...it transmits sound quite well...keep probing around the engine and see where the "ticking" noise comes through the screwdriver the loudest.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

nice to see ur so persistant, sick88 or what ever ur name is

posted by  Neonlover04

Thanks guys, i will do that.

posted by  williamwillie

Your Message