Adjusting rear disk brakes

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Adjusting rear disk brakes

I have a question about adjuting rear disk brakes. I noticed that as I was trying to brake in my '91 Accord 2.2L 4dr sedan the brakes were a little squashy. The guy at the parts store told me that this is likely due to something in the rear brake drums. I went and opened the drums and I noticed that one of the wheel cylinders was oozing a little. I chaged it and put on new shoes all around. The Hanes manual refers to this type of screw that has jagged teeth and is connected bettween the shoes as the self adjust screw. I also see that there is a way to access that screw through the backing plate when the drums are on the vehicle. I noticed at the parts store that there seems to be some tools specifically used to access that screw and I've heard mechanics say that they would adjust the rear brakes. I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I was wondering if I have to adjust the brakes when I put in new shoes or will the car automatically do it? I can see the importance of keeping the shoes close to the drum but without touching in order to reduce pedal travel so I want to double check and just make sure that the either I or the car will make sure that the brakes are adjusted properly. Thanks.

posted by  wizzyb82

Do you have rear disk service brakes and drum parking brakes?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

And what car is it?

posted by  heebee

HE already said its a 1991 Honda Accord 4 Door 2.2 Liter.

posted by  Hummer H1

yeah i have some experience with brakes, but do you have rear disc brakes or drums? If it's disc, it's possible that you simply need to add some brake fluid to your master cylinder. Also, have you changed or taken off your brakes recently, or were they serviced recently. Sometimes when you dont uncap the master cylinder when taking off the calipers this the brakes become spongy. Also, do you have 4 wheel ABS? Because if some air somehow got into your brake line, that may be it also. In that case, you'll just have to pump all your lines clean to get the air out and put in new brake fluid...Hope this helps, but try to describe the problem more.

posted by  MILFhunter

The reason I asked the question is a car with rear disk brakes will not need the service brakes adjusted but will still require a parking brake adjustment

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message