Power Steering Fluid Leak

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Power Steering Fluid Leak

Confirmed is the fact that my old 84' 5th Avenue does have a power steering fluid leak. In question is how I'm going to fix this problem. Currently I'm having to fill it with transmission fluid (apparently works just as well, and much cheaper) and do so at least once or twice a day. This is becoming messy, monotonous and old, so I am now looking into fixing this. My only problem is that I don't know exactly how. I know first i need to know WHAT is leaking, but I'm not even that far. For now I think I'll simply browse pictures, diagrams, etc until i find out what it is thats leaking, but if anyone can aid me in finding out whats leaking and how to replace it please do! I understand the costly repair prices mechanics ask, so I want to fix this myself if possible. Because this is an 'older' vehicle, I assume the seals are worn and need replacing...then again, the resevoire may be damaged just as easily...regardless, I dont know how to tell either way! Please Help!

posted by  Dark-Flare

Well if you're going through that much fluid the leak should be real easy to find. The power steering system is relatively simple, basically the pump, pressure line, return line, and steering gear. Actually it would have been quicker to find the leak than type your post. I always wonder why people ask before they look.

As to what it will take to fix it that all depends on the problem. The reason qualified technicians charge the prices they do is because they have the knowledge, experience and equipment to do the job quickly and efficiently. You just might be better off financially to take it to a good shop.

posted by  vwhobo

I was looking into washing my car the other day and noticed that there was far more dirt than I anticipated, maybe VWHOBO could recommend a good car wash where a "professional" could just do the job for me. That way I will not learn anything in the process. In addition, I can depart with some more of my hard earned money at the same time.

My S10 blazer has a power steering line leak(high pressure side) and I was searching for posts on the web of others that have had the same problem. I found my answers but in the process discovered 2 replies by the above mentioned member. The Inet is a wonderful resource, lets add to it instead of throwing our hands up int he air and saying "it's too difficult, call a mechanic". Yes, there are instances where a mechanic should be used to do the job but a power steering pump or line replacement and system purge shouldn't be ruled out for the weekend warrier.

Advise, don't discourage.

posted by  chillrich

Lets be nice - VW for one reason or another has not posted in the past couple of months. I agree the internet is a valuable tool - Considering the problem is over 1 yr old, I hope by now it is fixed.

In the unlikely event it is not or someone picks this up on a web search, are there any pointers you could add to help someone find fluid leaks and fix them?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Old thread revival...and you get upset? :screwy: :screwy:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Maybe I was a bit harsh but I do feel that we need to share info not throw our hands up in the air. My Blazer suffered a heater core leak that I didn't know if I could tackle until I read a few posts, 5 hours of patient labour later I had accomplished the task( it's all good after 16 months of service).
According to the mechanics, the Chevy OEM high pressure hoses on the power steering, oil lines etc. are succeptable to leaks. My 2002 Blazer is showing signs of seepage at 40,000 miles. Replacing these lines should not be too tough, my '89 Blazer took a while(3 hours) due to the tricky routing. Best bet to diagnose is wipe off the suspect line and check again after the vehicle has been brought up to operating temperature.
This link is for Ford replacement but still outlines athe correct procedure.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fkevin -long.tripod.com%2Fpowers.html

Our parts supplier listed the high pressure line at about $23.
Hope this HELPS!!!
I will post again when job is complete.

posted by  chillrich

I appreciate the statement about sharing information. The purpose of a forum such as this is to share information and help others as well as have a little fun too.

The reader of any information in a forum such as this has a few responsibilities. First is to decide if the information is applicable to the particular situation. Next decide if it is detailed enough and accurate (does it make sense?). Last, the reader has to decide if they have or is willing to acquire the skills, knowledge , tools, and equipment to do the job right and do it without getting hurt or screwing up the car

I agree with you - replacing a powersteering hose should be about the same no matter who built the car. The procedures for "burping" the air out of the system should be universal too. Essentially this involves turning the steering wheel "lock to lock" (al the way to the right and all the way to the right) several times keeping an eye on the fluid level

For those doing this for the first time, use the correct fluid. Some cars use power-steering fluid, others use ATF

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message