Struts and Coils

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Struts and Coils

Hi All,

I'm new here and I plan on sticking around to learn as much as I can about car repair... I don't know too much now though. :(

Anyways, my question is... I have a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird SE.

The owner before me pulled A LOT of stuff around on the trailor hitch and all my shocks are finished. I am also sure that my coils are finished too.

I just had new struts put on the front yesterday, and my car drives TONS smoother. No more bottoming out.

But I am wondering if I should replace the coils because in my mind, they are supposed to take some of the road bumps and leave less pressure on the struts? All the Sunbirds I see around here have a lot more clearance between the tire and body than mine. I am just worried that I will ruin my struts in a short period of time...

I also heard of a rubber thing that you can add to the coils to jack them up and it's kind of a rig-job for replacing them. Can anybody please shed any light on this. Thank you very much. :smoke:

posted by  KrazyLoCo

There should be ride height specifications given with the alignment specs on the car If everything is stock, if the car is too low at the measurement points, the springs should be replaced

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message