99 Saturn SL2 issues

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  99 Saturn SL2 issues

So, I have a 99 Saturn SL2, it's got about 100300 miles on it. For a few months now it's been doing this: It will be running, and then randomly all the gauges die and the security and brake lights come on for about 2 seconds. The lights flicker a bit the entire time the car is running, esp. while I'm idling. The engine keeps going just fine. It's kinda like the car has to hiccup. Well, I got it tuned up in April, and that problem stopped for a while. About 2 weeks ago, it started happening again. I got the battery checked last week and it tested good.

Then this started to happen 2 days ago: The car will either try to turn over and completely die, or it won't turn over at all. Then I get out, pop the hood and fiddle with the wires near the battery, get back in the car and try again, and it starts up. Twice it has hesitated before starting, but it still starts. I'm not sure what to do about this. I've been told several different things, and I'm afraid that someone is going to try to take advantage of my situation.

posted by  synaesthetic

Hello. I also have this same model and the same problem happened to me earlier this year. The mileage at the time was about 70K. It turned out the Crankshaft Position Sensor was the problem. It must be somewhat common based on this link:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=3259&src=vip
Since it was replaced I have not had any intermittant starting or gauge issues.

posted by  JMCL

Your Message