93 mercury sable oil light

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  93 mercury sable oil light

the oil light is on for my sable wagon and wont go out. just changed oil and filter and replaced oil pump. what should i do next?

posted by  willr

Did you put enough oil in? Have you checked your dip stick after changing the oil while your car was on a level surface? Is your car leaking oil? If no, this could be an electrical/sensor problem.

posted by  cheezysweet

Make sure the oil level is OK

Put a pressure gage on the car and make sure it is within spec

If oil pressure is within spec, replace the sending unit (unless the engine is in poor condition, this one has a 95% liklihood of being your problem) I always suggest testing the pressure since I would hate for you to be in the 5% with other issues

posted by  tbaxleyjr

i guess thats what im going to have to do. before and after i replaced oil pump the oil light was flickering at idle rpms but only when the engine was hot. just put in new main bearings and they were pretty messed up, grooves and stuff and discolored, the oil light is always on at 1500 and below rpms when its hot. my dad thinks we should put a crank kit in to see if that fixes it but im also gonna try a pressure test and maybe the sending unit unless anyone can think of something else to do...

posted by  willr

i guess thats what im going to have to do. before and after i replaced oil pump the oil light was flickering at idle rpms but only when the engine was hot. just put in new main bearings and they were pretty messed up, grooves and stuff and discolored in the old ones, now the oil light is always on at 1500 and below rpms when its hot. my dad thinks we should put a crank kit in to see if that fixes it but im also gonna try a pressure test and maybe the sending unit unless anyone can think of something else to do...

posted by  willr

sorry about the double post...my computer is in desperate need of a tune up if you know what i mean. if anyone could delete the first post or just not pay attention to it. sorry again

posted by  willr

Your Message