Suburban starts HARD!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Suburban starts HARD!

This is a follow up to another post I put up. My 96 Suburban is giving me fits! When it hasnt been started for a day it cranks forever til the battery dies, I can get it to start by putting it on the charger on boost and letting it crank til it finally starts. After I get it started it will start for awhile taking a few seconds which is still longer than it use to and still seems to strain. This is what Ive done so far!

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor and cleaned battery cables, even replaced one questionable end.

Tested the TPS which seemed to be OK, I tested the Crank Sensor on and off the truck and although the test directions showed a different type of sensor the CPS seemed to be bad so I just replaced that today to the tune of 60$.

When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump working and when I put the fuel pressure tester on it, it shows between 40-50 lbs. I havent checked the pressure with the key on without starting it yet. Should I? The battery seems to be getting old and Im going to have to replace it either way but if it cranks over fine could it possibly be the battery?? Yea Im probably reaching now but Im pretty stumped!

I just checked the pressure with the key in the on position and its almost 60 lbs, can it have to much fuel pressure???

Thanks Guys
Chris

posted by  69396Chevy

Hi Chris, you might check your oil pressure sender, when you turn on the key a fuel pump relay makes the pump run for a few secondsthen oil pressure sender takes over ,if its bad it will not keep fuel pump running to start. just a tip for you to look at, good luck Slim :screwy:

posted by  Slimone

Slim, the truck will eventually start it just takes awhile and will stay running after it starts, runs perfect when it starts and oil pressure on the gauge is fine.

posted by  69396Chevy

I have this same problem on my 97 have you found a solution?
I did find by putting a few drops of gas down the throttle boby then putting it back together helps it starts right away. Also a little starting fluid on the air cleaner works and is easier.

posted by  51M37

Your Message