Lost Power

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Lost Power

My '91 Toyota Corolla has been working almost perfectly, except for one major thing. It seems to have lost a significant portion of the engine power since I bought it, five years ago. I intend to do a compression test on it sometime soon, but in the meantime, what else should I consider checking out? Has anyone had any luck with gas/oil additives for this sort of problem?

Thanks

posted by  kanato

When was the last time the car received a maintenance tune up (plugs, filters, timing, dist cap/rotor, etc.?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I'm ashamed to say it, but aside from changing the oil & tires, I haven't done any other maintanence on this car. I have had the starter rebuilt and a new exhaust manifold put in, but that doesn't really qualify as maintenance.

posted by  kanato

before we get to the complicated stuff, lets get the maintenance up to date. Every 30000 miles for a typical car built in 1991, the following work needs to be done

Replace plugs, check plug wires, replace dist. cap and rotor, replace fuel filter, replace air filter, replace PCV valve, inspect vacume hoses, test EGR system, clean MAF sensor and throttlebody and blow soot out of the car. @ 60K miles, do the above and replace plug wires. If car has solid lifters, @ between 70K and 90K miles, the valve lash may need adjusted.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

fuel injector cleaner;) Lucas is good stuff! Nail the gas down get the revs up high so the injectors spray with more pressure, might blow out and build up in them. Usually long highway driving would do an ok job for that.

posted by  speedy266

Actually, I did try that. I used STP fule injector cleaner. It seemed to help a little after the first couple of tanks, but it doesn't seem to help much after that.

posted by  kanato

Clean your Throttle Body with Throttle Body Cleaner. Or Combustion Chamber cleaner. Also clean the throttle body spring and lube it with silicone lubricant.

posted by  speedy266

Your Message